The Behringer Neutron, analog synthesizer is shipping in a few months yet we still know relatively little about it compared to others. Here's the latest reveal video from Behringer and its features.
UPDATE: Guitar Center in the US have revealed the official feature list and price since this article was published. Scroll down for an updated feature list... and the street price according to Guitar Center? A paltry $299 USD!
In this latest video from Behringer on their soon to be released semi-modular analog synth, Neutron, two key members of the R&D team at Midas in Manchester, UK reveal a bit more about the machine. First off, in case you missed our coverage when news of this synth broke, this is NOT a clone. It's an original design and one we think is going to be popular, if the price is right. And at a reported $299 USD, it looks like the price is very right indeed!
Granted, there's not a whole lot revealed here and we'd love to see it action a bit more. But, check out the video here for some pretty tasty sound demos and what we suspected the spec would be.
Still, if all works out as planned, Behringer should be shipping the Neutron end of April 2018... just in time for Superbooth18!
Our friends at Synth Anatomy initially transcribed the spec in list form from the video above. Since then Guitar Center revealed the feature list for Neutron. It features the VCO from the 3340s btu with "new circuitry". Additionally, there's a new filter design made by Keith Moffatt, engineer at Midas, UK. One of the features I particularly like is that Neutron can be used to process external audio
Here's more details.
The NEUTRON Paraphonic Analog and Semi-Modular Synthesizer by Behringer features VCO's from the legendary 3340's, but amended with new circuitry. In fact, the filter is a complete new design. Behringer calls it the Moffatt filter, named after design engineer Keith Moffatt at their Manchester Innovation center. Keith has been experimenting for years with new synth and in particular filter designs. The Moffatt filter is a great contribution to, and just one of the many innovative features you will find in the Neutron.
Behringer Neutron Features
- Paraphonic synthesizer with authentic dual 3340 analog oscillators for insanely fat music creation
- Pure analog signal path based on legendary VCO design to recreate classic sound performance
- Semi-modular architecture with default routings requires no patching for immediate performance
- Oscillator waveform control blends seamlessly between 5 shapes (tone mod, saw tooth, pulse, triangle, sine wave)
- Individual pulse width / tone mod control provides ultimate sounds
- Paraphonic mode allows both oscillators to be independently controlled
- Flexible LFO with fi ve waveform shapes, MIDI clock sync, key sync and delay / fade in
- Two analogue ADSR generators for modulation of VCF and VCA
- Multiple stage analog delay based on legendary BBD (Bucket Brigade Delay) technology
- Overdrive circuit adds rich analog warmth and edge to your sounds
- Noise generator dramatically expands waveform generation
- 36 controls and 7 buttons give you direct and real time access to all parameters
- Switchable, self-oscillating, multi-mode analog 12 dB/Oct VCF with dual output (e.g. LP+HP available on jacks) Utility functions including attenuators, multiples, slew rate limiter and summers for creative patching flexibility
- 32 in / 24 out jack matrix for an incredible amount of patching options
- Patchable audio-rate sample and hold with glide for added creativity
- Headphone output with dedicated level control
- External audio input for processing external sound sources
- Comprehensive USB/Midi implementation for connection to keyboard/sequencer
- Designed and engineered in the U.K.