MOTU ships their new combined monitor and mixer, the Monitor 8, which is a 6-channel headphone amp and audio interface with DSP effects in one neat package.
CAMBRIDGE, MA -- Wednesday, December 10, 2014. MOTU is now shipping Monitor 8, a 24 x 16 x 8 monitor mixer, 6-channel headphone amplifier and USB/AVB audio interface with console-style 48-channel mixing and DSP effects. With exceptional analog audio quality based on the award-winning design of MOTU's groundbreaking 1248, 8M and 16A AVB interfaces, Monitor 8 can serve as a primary audio interface and monitor mixer in the studio, as a complete monitoring solution for live performance, or as a dedicated monitoring component of a MOTU AVB audio network system.
"Monitor 8 is a one-stop solution for high-quality stereo monitoring through speakers, headphones, and in-ear systems," said Jim Cooper, Director of Marketing at MOTU. "With large console-style mixing and Wi-Fi control, Monitor 8 is equally well suited for both studio operation and live performance situations."
Users can create multiple mixes from a variety of inputs, including 8 channels of high-quality balanced (TRS) analog, 16 channels (2 banks) of ADAT optical, 32 channels of audio streamed from other MOTU interfaces on a connected AVB audio network (if present), and host software audio channels coming from the computer over USB or AVB Ethernet.
All of these inputs can be mixed to eight stereo output groups: Main, Aux and monitor groups A thru F. XLR Main Outs and balanced quarter-inch Aux Outs can feed primary and secondary studio monitors or PA speakers. Users can then set up six additional, independent monitor groups, each with multiple mirrored outputs that include two sets of 1/4-inch headphone outs (front and rear panel), a summed 1/4-inch mono output, and, on groups A-D, balanced stereo quarter-inch outs. All told, monitor mixes can be sent to twelve sets of headphones, six stage monitors, four stereo in-ear modules (or other stereo line level destinations) and two sets of powered speakers.
Monitor 8 operates without a computer as a stand-alone mixer and headphone amp, but it can also function as a universally compatible AVB or USB 2.0 audio interface that is USB 3.0 and iOS compatible.
Powerful DSP delivers large console style mixing with 48 channels, 12 stereo busses, and 32-bit floating point effects processing, including modeled analog EQ, vintage compression and classic reverb. For stand-alone mixing, users can control Monitor 8 over Wi-Fi from web app software running in their favorite web browser on an iPad™, iPhone™, tablet, smart phone, and laptop — or several devices simultaneously for multi-user control of the Monitor 8's multiple mix busses.
Users can mix and match Monitor 8 with MOTU's other AVB interfaces, with their complementary I/O configurations, to build a customized, state-of-the-art AVB audio network system.
Monitor 8 feature highlights
- Three products in one — 24 x 16 x 8 monitor mixer, 6-channel headphone amp and USB/AVB audio interface.
- Superb audio quality — Employs the same award-winning analog design as MOTU's groundbreaking 1248, 8M and 16A audio interfaces.
- 24 inputs and 8 stereo bus outputs — Mix 24 physical inputs, multi-channel computer audio, and 32 AVB audio network channels to eight stereo bus outputs (Main, Aux, and monitor groups A thru F). Inputs include 8 channels of balanced (TRS) analog and 16 channels (2 banks) of ADAT optical.
- Six monitor groups with flexible outputs — Each group provides multiple mirrored outputs, including 2x 1/4-inch phones (front and rear panel), summed 1/4-inch mono out for stage monitors, and, for groups A-D, balanced stereo 1/4-inch outs.
- Universal connectivity — Connects to a computer with standard AVB Ethernet or audio class compliant high-speed USB 2.0 (compatible with USB 3.0 and iOS). Discovery app and web app software works alongside any host audio software.
- On-board 32-bit floating point DSP with large console style mixing and effects — Flexible 48-input digital mixer with 12 stereo busses and DSP effects, including reverb with sends, plus modeled analog EQ and compression, gate, and reverb.
- System expansion — Add a 2nd MOTU AVB interface (1248, 8M, 16A, 24Ai or 24Ao) with a simple Cat-5e ethernet cable. Connect up to five MOTU interfaces using a MOTU AVB Switch (sold separately).
- AVB audio networking — Build a network with multiple interfaces and computers using standard AVB switches and network cabling, with ultra-low network latency, even over long cable runs (100 meters point to point). Stream hundreds of audio channels among devices and computers on the network.
- Flexible matrix routing and splitting — Send any input to any output, or multiple outputs. Includes routing to and from the computer, plus any devices on the AVB network.
- Web app control — Control on-board DSP, mixing, device settings, and network audio routing from web app software running in your favorite browser on a laptop, tablet or smart phone connected by wire or Wi-Fi to your local area network.
- Stand-alone mixing with wireless control — Connect an Apple Airport™ or other Wi-Fi router directly to the Monitor 8 with a standard Ethernet cable and control the Monitor 8's powerful mixing and DSP effects from your smart phone or tablet, without a computer. Great for live show monitor mixing.
- AudioDesk 4.0 — Includes AudioDesk workstation software for Mac and Windows with 24-bit recording, sample-accurate editing and 32-bit mixing and mastering.
Monitor 8 is now shipping. Price is $995 USD.