This $300, 32 Oscillator Portable Synthesizer Smashes Past Kickstarter Goal In 4 Hours
Less than 24 hours since launch the Modal Electronics Skulpt, 4-voice polyphonic synthesizer for under $300 is closing in on being 150% funded. It's not surprising when you listen to the sound demos!
It took just four hours for the new Modal Electronics Skulpt synthesizer to breeze past its £50,000 crowdfunding goal on Kickstarter. And with 29 days still to go this 4-voice polyphonic synth is funded to the tune of 142%.
After their success with the CRAFT Synth and CRAFT Rhythm DIY synth and drum machine / sequencer respectively, Modal have merged some of the tech from their higher-end machines into a portable package which sounds very impressive indeed.
Modal Skulpt Features
- 4 voice – 32 oscillator virtual analogue synthesiser
- 8 oscillators per voice with 2 selectable morphable waveforms
- Mixer stage for osc levels along with FM, PWM, tuning and Ring Modulation options
- Monophonic, Duophonic and Polyphonic modes available
- Multi option Unison / spread to detune the 32 oscillators for a huge sound
- 8 slot modulation matrix with 8 sources and 37 destinations
- 3 x envelope generators for Filter, Amplitude and Modulation
- 2 x audio rate LFOs, one global and one polyphonic
- Realtime sequencer that will record up to 128 notes and up to 4 parameters
- Fully featured arpeggiator with division, direction, octave, swing and sustain controls
- Resonant filter that can be morphed from low pass, through band pass, to high pass
- Delay and distortion (waveshaping overdrive, not bitcrushing) effects
- Optional MIDI clock sync for LFOs and Delay
- 128 patch and 64 sequence storage locations
- 16 key touch MIDI keyboard
- MIDI DIN In and Out – Analogue clock sync In and Out connections
- Class compliant MIDI provided over USB connection to host computer or tablet
- Headphone and line output
- Power by USB or 6 x AA batteries
- Optional software editor available for MacOS, Windows, IOS and Android
- Portable and compact design
- Dimensions: 255mm x 135m x 68mm (10”x5 1/2”x 3”)
When (we think it's 'when' as opposed to 'if' Skulpt reaches its 200% funded stretch goal) Modal will provide every Skulpt synthesizer with a specially designed ptoective cover and base.
There's plenty ore included with Skulpt from the software editor that works with the CRAFT range of machines too, though its not required to use any of Skulpt's sounds.
Did we mention it's portable? Skulpt runs on USB or battery power, requires 6 x AA batteries.
With 16 capactive touch keyboard buttons and a built-in sequencer, you can pick up this 32-oscialltor monster of a polyphonic synthesizer from just over £200 (about $275 USD). It's an incredible price when you listen to the demos and get an idea what Skulpt is capable of sonically.