The app that turns your Mac trackpad into a MIDI controller just got an upgrade that adds more power features and flexibility when controlling your music software, and even Adobe Lightroom.
Every Mac laptop user has a powerful MIDI controller right in front of them and most of us are aware it's even there. Thanks to AudioSwift, released back in February 2018, the humble trackpad can be repurposed as a very capable MIDI controller / control surface for your DAW.
I tested it out with Logic Pro X and was surpirsed how well I adapted to using it accurately without having direct feedback from the trackpad itself, instead using on-screen displays. It was more intuitve to use for mixing and controling multiple parameters than I thought it would be.
So, now that the same developer has released AudioSwift 2 we're again keen to check it out and see what new improvements have been made.
First off, let's remind ourselves of the five control modes for AudioSwift:
- Slider — divides the trackpad into 4 virtual sliders that send either CC or Pitch Bend MIDI messages.
- XY — control many parameters at the same time using one, two or three fingers.
- Mixer — designed to speed up your mixing workflow. Control two faders at the same time, panning, sends, use the trackpad as a jog wheel, and write automation.
- Tigger — tap your fingers over the trackpad to make beats or launch audio clips.
- Scale — play notes in a selected key.
What's New in AudioSwift 2
- New Slider Mode with 12 configurable virtual sliders.
- New XY Mode design with 5 views and 30 configurable controllers.
- It now works with Adobe Lightroom using a third party open source plugin.
- Adds Pitch Bend with relative center position (0 pitch bend).
- Adds new Regular Format for CC messages.
- Adds default CC values and automatic return to default after a finger is released.
- Adds labels for Slider and XY modes.
- AudioSwift’s console can now be turned on temporarily with a tap plus the shift key.
- When working with two trackpads or a trackpad with a mouse, AudioSwift can now be turned on automatically by just touching the trackpad’s surface.
Price : $24 (free update from version 1)
Promo: 50% off with coupon code GOLDENFROG50
for a limited time.