The Warm Audio WA-87 bases its design on early models of another great mic. This time though you might be surprised by the price and not just the sound.
The Neumann U87 is one of the most sought after mics in the recording world but it carries a price tag to match its fame. Warm Audio has used it as the inspiration for its new WA-87 condenser mic, with a cinematic transfomer and custom capsule and despite only being on the market for a month, it's proving amazingly popular. At a price point of $599 with included shock mount and wooden carrying case it's not hard to see why!
Warm Audio WA-87 Specifications
- Microphone Type: large condenser studio microphone.
- Based on the classic “87-style” circuit.
- Microphone includes shock mount, hard mount and wood box.
- Polar Patterns: Cardioid, figure of eight, and omnidirectional.
- Capsule: Lens Kondensator LK-87-B-50V reproduction of classic dual backplate (four wire termination) K87 capsule.
- Diaphragm: 6 micron thickness, 1 inch diameter, gold sputtered membrane, NOS Japanese mylar (PET film).
- Output Transformer: CineMag USA.
- Frequency Response: 20hz - 20khz.
- SPL: .5% THD @ 125db (without pad),132db (with pad).
- Pad: -10db.
- Output: 150 ohms, 24k gold plated, 3 pin XLR (pin 1 = gnd, pin 2 = +, pin 3 = -), transformer coupled via Cinemag USA output transformer.
- High Pass Filter: 80hz.
- Noise: -117db.
- Color: nickel (painted).
The WA-87 is available now for $599. Read more about it here.