macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Student489017
    Live instruments and guitar pedals
    Hi, everybody. I'm relatively new to Ableton and have been taught all I know by Youtube videos and my own exploration, so I'm pretty inexperienced with the ins and outs. Please excuse my ignorance if this is a silly topic: I recently have been wanting to set up a rig where I can use my live guitar with outside hardware effects like guitar pedals. I have a Scarlett 4i4 and am using the external audio effects feature. I have my instrument plugged into instrument input 1, out line output 3, through my effects pedals, and into line input 3. It works. Sort of. I can hear my guitar with the effects and it sounds great but the effects are also being applied to my midi tracks, even the metronome. Is there a solution for this? It's become very frustrating. I even bought an interface with more than 2 outputs (had a Presonus before this) and nothing has changed. Thanks for your patience with my long winded explanation, hope this isn't a silly question or an impossible endeavor.
  • Joe A
    Re: Live instruments and guitar pedals
    Hi - It should be possible to record the guitar with effects, but it's not clear how you're routing the guitar signal.. Are you sending it through a track in Live [input 1, output 3], then through the pedals and back into another track in Live [input 3], recording both the dry signal and the effect signal? OR is that input 1->output 3 being routed somehow within the 4i4 before the guitar signal gets to Live? If it's the latter I can't really say what might be wrong -- since I don'l have a 4i4 I don't know what kind of signal routing might be done within the interface [external audio effects feature?].. If it's the former, then I would think that should work, with the effects only applied to the guitar signal.. If you're not looking to record both a dry guitar track and an effected guitar track, but just the guitar with effects, then maybe you could just plug the guitar into the effect pedals [like with a typical stage rig] and then the effect[s] out into instrument input 1 and on into Live..? It sounds like you're accidentally running the main stereo outs through the effects -- by your description I'd guess that's likely happening inside the interface, but, again, without a 4i4 I have no way to be sure about that.. The manual[s] for the interface and its software control panel seem to suggest that you might have outputs 3&4 carrying the main audio signal instead of just the guitar, and that might be how the effects are getting onto other tracks, but I'd need to have the hardware & software in front of me to suss it out, the documentation is too unclear without being able to actually try it out..
  • Student489017
    Thank you so much for the reply. I have my guitar into input one and am then using "external audio effects" on the same audio track. The idea was to add pre and post amp effects within Ableton to go alongside my pedal if that make sense. Suggesting that I may have main signal going out of 3&4 was helpful but not sure how to remedy that. I know you wouldn't be able to help with that without a 4i4. This should at least get me started.
  • Joe A
    Ah, ok, so you're routing to/from the external effects via the external audio effect insert in Live.. That sounds like it should work fine with the external audio effect insert sending the guitar signal out via output 3, through the effects, and then back in via input 3. In the 4i4 documentation at one point it said something about the 4i4 outputs 3&4 feeding the headphones, which made me suspect that by default they may be mirroring the main L/R [1&2] outputs -- if that is in fact the case, then you might have to change that in the Focusrite Control s/w utility, where it looks like there are options to set the routing of all the ins & outs.. Of course I could be misreading it -- as I said, the documentation is a bit unclear to me on its own -- but I still suspect some internal 4i4 routing like that as the most likely culprit.. Hopefully, if that's what's happening you'll be able to suss out the Focusrite Control utility and set ins & outs 3&4 to carry just the guitar/effect signal..
  • Student489017
    I really appreciate your help, I'll mess around with it a bit more.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: