macProVideo.com
Forums
  • odessaflyer
    Recording Logic Virtual Instrument in Live
    Could someone please explain how to record a virtual instrument from Logic, through Rewire, into Live 6 ? I have both applications working and recording...but I've not found the way, or even if it's possible to record a virttual logic instrument into Live? Thanks odessaflyer
  • Martin Delaney
    Re: Recording Logic Virtual Instrument in Live
    Hi, as far as I know it can't be done directly...any Logic boffins who know better please chip in at this point! When you bounce down from Logic, any Live sounds will be included in the mix, that's how I do it - you never have to actually record the sounds from one into the other. You can route Live's audio outputs through Logic for processing. If I have a Logic part I want to get into Live I just save the region as an audio file to my desktop, and drop it into Session or Arrangement view. That should help :-) [quote:3476]Could someone please explain how to record a virtual instrument from Logic, through Rewire, into Live 6 ? I have both applications working and recording...but I've not found the way, or even if it's possible to record a virttual logic instrument into Live? Thanks odessaflyer[/quote]
  • odessaflyer
    Hi Martin! Thanks for the reply and the info. I 've been doing pretty close to what you describe, At least i think so. I have Logic and live transports in sync, using a remote sl keyboard also. I've got all sounds in Live and Logic to be audible and when I hit record...in either Live or Logic...of course different results occur. some tracks record, some don't... Ultimately, I'm trying to use Ultrabeat in logic in a way that allows me to be flexible with it before committing it to a recorded track which must then be used in the arrange or sessioin window of Live, or vice versa... Maybe that will be the only way...but I have the "pattern mode" of Ultrabeats sequencer and "mute" function set up to be controlled on the fly with the keyboard. each sound has a seperate aux channel. I jam along with Live clips, or logic instruments, switching up the changes ( sequences) of Ultrabeat where and when i want to...in order to get a general form to my song...but unfortunately it seems that neither program allows for an easy way to just record it...as it seems that without a "work around" pluggin even for Logic, it requires bouncing in order to record...or maybe to set up the track in the matrix editor. the overall intention I'm trying to understand better is, how to be able to improvise the drum tracks - to figure out in performance mode..the best way to have drum changes sync to changes in other sounds being added or removed either by Live or Logic. I hope this is clear enough. thanks. odessaflyer
  • Martin Delaney
    This is beginning to push the limits of my Logic knowledge...isn't there any way to route audio from the Ultrabeat track to another audio track in Logic, and record it that way? Don't have my Logic Pro dongle with me, so can't try it now! Live is WAY better for this kind of real-time work - what is it about Ultrabeat that you like, particularly? Maybe there's ways of achieving the same result using MIDI or audio beats in Live?
  • odessaflyer
    Sorry for the late reply to the thread here...I also posted the same question ( recording virtual Instruments in Logic/Live) To answer your question..."what is it about Ultrabeat that can't beat replaced by something in Live? I've spent the time and $1000 software and there is not a straight forward way to simply record what is being heard in the ear phones after using all the performance mode abilities the software itself provides...just leaves me dumbfounded! There has to be a way to route the midi or audio signals through side chains or third party software or midi loop back or something...I love Ultrabeat;s performance mode ability, and sound design advancements - especially the way to use the sequencer with a keyboard..I can improvize my parts into composition rather than be limited to putting notes in mechanically and then using "bounce to record everyhthing with no ability to use any of the performance mode capability, or to improvize what you are playing as you record it...I have friends who are DJs here in Russia who also use Live and they listen to what I'm doing and also cannot believe there isn't a way to record what is heard on the fly....if you have any suggestions I would love to hear because even my friends are suggesting to abandon Logic and I don't want to do that...I love the program...But if I spend countless hours and there's no way other than what to me is counter intuitive ways for me to use it, I may have no choice but to waste more time and money and start all over again...I also love LIVE - i use wave files I recorded and imported and use as clips...I jam using both programs simultaneosuly...I find the best and most inspiring ideas come in this way...I tweak sounds as I go..I like to design my own...Logic is excellent for this...both are fantastic programs - I can't believe I'm the only one with such questions??
  • Kuwinie
    OdessaFlyer, I don't know if you're on a PC or Mac, but JACK ([url]http://jackaudio.org[/url]) sounds like what you're looking for on Mac and Linux. It's a third-party router that lets you run sound from Logic into Live, among other things. It's been around for a little while now so I'm sure something similar exists for Windows.
  • odessaflyer
    Gummiebehr, thanks very much for the link for "Jack". I will download it today. Recently, I've successfully recorded an improv using "wiretap pro" then re-importing into an audio treack in Logic.. so far, with only one try, if nothing else, it has shown to be a great way for me to create my own samples for re-importing for further processing and arrangement. Thanks for the information! odessaflyer
  • yardmanmx
    YOU CAN ALSO USED SOUNDFLOWER IT HAS 16 INDIVIDUAL OUTPUTS http://www.cycling74.com/downloads ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS SELECT IT HAS YOUR AUDIO DEVICE IN LOGIC PREFERENCE /AUDIO AND THEN ASIGN EACH CHANEL TO A TRACK OUTPUT IN LOGIC AND THEN ASSIGN THEM ACCORDINGLY IN LIVE AS INPUT AND YOUR AUDIO CARD AS OUTPUT IN LIVE IF THAT DOES NOT WORK TRYTHIS IN YOUR APPLICATION FOLDER IN UTILITIES SELECT AUDIO MIDI SETUP WHEN IT OPEN IN THE DROP DOWN MENUS/AUDIO SELECT OPEN AGREGATE DEVICE EDITOR THEN SELECT THE PLUS + BUTTON AND SELECT SOUNDFLOWER AUDIO DEVICE AND YOUR AUDIO INTERFACE TOGETHER AND CREAT A VIRTUALL DEVICE WITH BOTH AND NAME IT THEN SELECT DONE THEN IN LOGIC AUDIO SELECT IT S AN AUDIO DEVICE AND USE THE CORESPONDING AUDIO OUTPUT THAT MATCHES THE SOUNDFLOWER AS OUTPUT THEN SELECT THEM IN LIVE IT REMEMBER TO USE THE CORESPONDING OUTPUT FOR YOUR AUDIO INTERFACE IN LIVE TO HEAR THE OUTPUT THROUGH YOU SOUND CARD SHOULD WORK LET ME KNOW IF THAT HELPS
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: