macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Cudufee
    Re: Starting your first Cubase Pro...
    Hello, I've been wanting to put my hands on Cubase for a long time and I finally took a bit of time to watch the Cubase 101 tutorial today. My major DAW is Logic although I started to work a lot on ProTools recently too. I wanted to learn about Cubase to know the main difference between these DAWs. One thing I watched in the early sections of this tutorial is about the Bit Depth of the project. The guy recommends to work in 32-bit floating point and says he will explain later on the benefit of 32-bit floating point over 24-bit. However I could not find any other section where he covers the topic. So I'd appreciate if someone can tell me what are the real benefits between 32-bit floating point and 24-bit, and what's the deal when you want to import tracks that have been recorded in 24-bit. Thanks.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Spots, My understanding is that 24 bit audio files have been recorded at 24-bit which relates to the dynamic range of the file. 32-bit floating point is the internal resolution at which audio is processed within a DAW like Cubase. Hope this helps :) Rounik
  • Cudufee
    Thanks Rounik but that's indeed the part I understood ;-) I'd like to know what is the benefit/difference between using 24-bit audio files in a 24-bit vs 32-bit floating point Cubase project. Thanks in advance.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Spots, Can you tell me which video this info was in and I'll take a look... From the Cubase Manual: ----- "When you record with effects, you should consider setting the record format (bit depth) to 32 Bit Float. This is done in the Project Setup dialog on the Project menu. Note that this isn’t required in any way – you can also record with effects in 24 or 16 Bit format. However, there are two advantages to 32 Bit Float format: With 32 Bit Float recording, you don’t risk clipping (digital distortion) in the recorded files. This can of course be avoided with 24 or 16 Bit recording as well, but requires more care with the levels. Cubase processes audio internally in 32 Bit Float format – recording in the same format means the audio quality will be kept absolutely pristine. The reason is that the effect processing in the input channel (as well as any level or EQ settings you make there) is done in 32 Bit Float format. If you record at 16 or 24 Bit, the audio will be converted to this lower resolution when it’s written to file – with possible signal degradation as a result. channel and select “Inserts”. " ----- Hope this helps Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: