macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Pypazeo
    BackP-Up Files on a Back Up Disc
    I watched Matthews presentation RE: Backing up files on to a B-U Disc. I performed the task exactly as specified and all went well. Since the file was the last to be saved in the program it was the most recent to open when I returned to Cubase 6. To my surprise and disappointment,I noticed the project would stop and start creating an overload on the VST Performance Meter. Why does this happen? Is there a problem in playing the Back-up file from the disc? Are Back-Up files only saved to drop and drag files back into the program and not to be played from the Back-Disc? Does this occur due to the need of more memory? Thanks for any help.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: BackP-Up Files on a Back Up Disc
    Hi Cubase 5, What is the disc you backed up the project to? (A CD/DVD, a USB stick, or if an external drive, is it connected via USB or Firewire?) Thanks R
  • Pypazeo
    Rounik, the disc is a 2.0 USB 2T external drive.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re:
    Is it connected directly to the USB 2.0 port on your Mac or via a USB hub or via the keyboard? Which Mac are you using? What spec? Also, do you know the speed of the external drive? Most of them are 5,400. Faster ones (more suitable for audio) are 7,200rpm. USB 2.0 is not as fast for continuous streaming as Firewire 400 or 800 - which is what I'd recommend for audio and video work. Hope some of this helps, Rounik
  • Pypazeo
    The PROBLEM: I had the drive connected to a Hub and not directly to the computer. By changing the USB cable from the Hub directly to the computer the problem was resolved. LESSON LEARNED: Never connect your external drive to an external hub, if you plan to play songs directly from the external drive. I did note however, when I stopped the song the VST meter spiked, but immediately dropped. No problem there. By the way the external disc is a Segate 2T. USB 2.0 In addition, my computer is an iMac 27" w/4 Gigs of memory.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re:
    Yup. Hubs are useful in order to connect more than one device via a USB port... but bandwidth can suffer as a result. Glad you got it sorted :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: