macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Student469162
    Re: Equalizer
    So, am I understand rightly, normally I need to use on a song both EQs - individual track EQs and master EQ, to get good result of mixing of the song? Do I need to use both of them or is it enough only from one? If only one, what is more important for a good quality and does different genres of music need both or only one EQ?
  • Joe A
    No, you don't need to use EQ at all -- it's completely optional. If you want to change the tone of a track or song then you can use it, but if the tone of a track or song is fine then there's absolutely no need to use any EQ on it. Sometimes a mix might need to have some tracks EQ'd, and other times the recordings are fine and no EQ is needed at all. It takes most novice mixers a lot of time listening to commercial mixes and practicing mixing before they're able to develop a good sense of when EQ might be needed and when it isn't, and how much and what particular EQ might be needed on various tracks -- there are NO hard and fast rules.
  • Student469162
    I don't understand one thing. There are several dots on the central line which are controlling certain area near them. Well, you taught me how to move dot on the central line - why is it good then? Why I need to move a dot on the line to get effect on the other side of the line, if there is already its own dot on that place.. ? What it gives to move a dot from one side to other? Any sound improvement? Or is it just for me for a fun -move it, instead of leave it and use another dot? Where is a sense to move a dot on the line... ??
  • Joe A
    In the GarageBand EQ display the "dots" are the center frequencies of each band of the EQ. When you change the center frequency of a band [by moving the associated dot or by selecting a band and dragging the number [in Hz] next to Frequency: below] it changes the frequency range that's affected when boost or cut is applied. This should be easy to hear, as the tonal change dialed up by boosting/cutting will be different when applying EQ at different frequencies. Since there are multiple bands you don't have to move a center frequency [dot] too far -- it's for adjusting the center frequency of a particular band between the two bands on either side. You'd asked about this earlier in this thread and several videos were recommended showing various EQs in operation [including Logic's EQ which has pretty much the same display as GarageBand's] -- if you re-watch them this should become clear, particularly video 11 in this course, which illustrates the effect of changing the center frequency of an EQ band: https://www.macprovideo.com/video/audio-processing-basics/11-11-frequency-ranges?afid=E470KLQ7r9 And if you try it for yourself [with a large, obvious boost somewhere in the center area] the effect of adjusting the center frequency should be obvious. As to why you should adjust center frequency, it's so you can find the best frequency to boost or cut to achieve the tonal change you want, which you'd do by ear. If you don't have a particular tonal change you want to achieve, then you don't need to use the EQ.
  • Student469162
    You write try to make wide boost and cut to listen to the difference of the tones. Well I tried it but you see (video is in enclosed) the frequency curve is too below that I can catch it with the dots. You say the sound is above the frequency. What it means? And if the sound is above the frequency, then I can't boost or cut that electric piano? Does the sound means a dot? Otherwise, "the sound above frequency" is invisible.. ?? https://youtu.be/SER08k0xqtQ
  • Joe A
    As I said in a previous post, there is a separate EQ for each track -- you select the track you want to EQ and then you dial up the EQ setting you want for that track. You've soloed the Electric Piano track so that's the only track you're hearing, but you've selected the "Hard Rock" track, so the EQ you're playing with is the one for the Hard Rock track which is NOT playing -- so of course you're not hearing any effect from it. If you want to hear the effect of EQ on the Electric Piano track you have to select the Electric Piano track and then apply the EQ -- again, there's a separate EQ for each track.
  • Student469162
    Yes, you are right. But notice, if I move dot to everywhere then the tone is also changing in everywhere, although dot catches frequency curve only in the middle of central line. Not on the sides, but also there I can hear a difference of the tone. Why is that? https://youtu.be/NpnGDPgjQJs
  • Joe A
    Yes, as you move the center frequency you're booting or cutting different harmonics of that signal, so the tone changes accordingly. There are frequency components extending beyond [above & below] what you're currently seeing in the spectrum analyzer, that's showing only the loudest part of the spectrum for that signal - if you drag up on the scale at the left of the EQ display you'll see more of the lower-level harmonics that are being affected by the EQ.
  • Student469162
    You wrote if I drag up on the scale at the left of the EQ display I could see more of the lower-level harmonics that will be affected by the EQ. How it happens? I took a dot and dragged it near the scale. It arose the curve of central frequencies higher and a line on the left appeared as a part of the curve. Then I just dragged up on the scale and also the same effect. Both ways it works.. ? But the dot didn't change the tone, even if I boosted and cut more (not seen in this video). Why is that? And why the line of the curve didn't appear on the right side? https://youtu.be/F9NPLmdmBjc
  • Joe A
    I didn't say anything about dragging a [center-frequency] dot over near the scale, just that dragging the scale up [as you did eventually] will let you see more of the low-level frequency content in the sound. In this example it looks like the audio frequency range starts at around 150 or 200 Hz and goes up from there -- anything below that [what you called the line on the left] is just background noise -- so of course applying EQ way down at 20Hz will have no audible effect on the Electric Piano tone. The audio is where the jagged wave is -- It looks like most of that sound falls between around 200Hz and 5kHz, so it's within that frequency range where you'd apply EQ if you want to audibly change the tone of the instrument.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: