macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Student469162
    Re: Pitch correction
    If I choose smart controls plugins and hit on the right corner of pitch correction tab, I get a pop-up menu. There I can see 5th choice from bottom "pitch". I hit it and then get 3 choices - pitch correction, pitch shifter and vocal transformer. Can I use them, what for and how.. ? Video also. https://youtu.be/IURO34WkVDo
  • Joe A
    Those plug-ins are all pitch-shifters.. - As I said previously, the Pitch Correction plug-in seems to be inserted automatically when you use the Pitch Correction slider in the Editor pane -- as you can see there are no controls so just leave it alone. - Pitch Shifter is an older plug-in that transposes [shifts the pitch] up or down in semitones -- you can blend the pitch-shifted audio with the original audio. Since it's an older plug-in the pitch-shifting quality is not very natural-sounding, so it's really suited more for special effects than anything musically useful. - Vocal Transformer is a much better pitch-shifting plug-in, which is capable of more natural-sounding transposition [pitch-shifting up or down]. It also transposes [shifts the pitch] up or down in semitones, but it can maintain a more natural tone than the Pitch Shifter plug-in or the Transpose slider in the Editor pane.
  • Student469162
    So a good thing is a vocal transformer here. Has it the same effect as transpose slider? I don't understand - you write it does pitch-shifting up or down and then you write it also transposes up or down in semitones. Are they 2 different operations.. ? Can I use both these operations also in transpose slider?
  • Joe A
    Transposing *is* pitch-shifting, it's just that the Vocal Transformer only transposes (pitch-shifts) in semitone increments, not smaller values. The Transpose slider does the same thing, but doing it with the Vocal Transformer can sound more natural.
  • Student469162
    OK. And how can I use the vocal transformer? Have you any video.. ? I hit to the label and got the window, with what I have no idea what to do on...
  • Joe A
    As you know, Vocal Transformer is a plug-in. In the Vocal Transformer plug-in window, it works the same way the Transpose slider in the Editor pane works -- you drag the Pitch slider above or below 0 to change the pitch in semitone increments [leave the Formant slider alone]. The differences between the Transpose slider in the Editor pane and the Vocal Transformer plug-in are: - The Transpose slider only applies Transposition to the selected Region; Vocal Transformer applies it to all Regions on the track - The sound quality of Vocal Transformer should be a better than the Transpose slider, especially for vocals
  • Student469162
    Yes, it works the same way as transpose slider. Usually I save changes so that am closing the project and then a warning appears and asks do you want to save changes or not. Now I wanted at once to get to know does it saves the vocal transformer and selected from garageband menu a file and then save. Then I listened to the region and not vocal transformer was saved. So it works but not saves. How is that.. ? And for what is a formant slider good.. ?
  • Joe A
    Yes, if you use the Vocal Transformer plug-in and then Save the song the Vocal Transformer settings will be saved, and be in effect the next time you open/play the song. Keep in mind the Vocal Transformer is applied only to Regions on the track it's inserted on. Any plug-ins you use in a GB song have their settings saved with the song. The Formant part of Vocal Transformer is what makes the voice sound more natural when you transpose it. At 0, you'll get the most natural sounds when transposing, and that's where you'd leave it when you just want to change the pitch and have the voice sound as natural as possible. Alternatively, you could play with it (even without transposing], for special effects, which will be obvious if you play with it. But normally you'd just leave it at 0.
  • Student469162
    You write that the vocal transformer settings will be saved and be in effect the next time you open/play the song. What that open/play the song means? Does it mean I still must to close the project and then open it again and then only listen to the song? As it really happened so and before closing the project I also saved the changes again. But as I wrote, if I save under the file (and not close the project), no real savings... So the recording of vocal transformer I only hear when I have closed and opened again the whole project.. ?
  • Joe A
    I assume when you use the Vocal Transformer plug-in you're hearing the transposition you dial up in the plug-in window -- as long as the song is open you should be able to hear the effect of the plug-in, hitting Save just makes sure that the plug-in will still be there and be in effect the next time you come back to the song. Plug-in settings are saved just like any other adjustments you make. I assume you understand that to keep the effect of the Vocal Transformer plug-in you have to set it how you want it, and then you can close the plug-in window but you have to leave the plug-in permanently inserted and active [blue] in the slot. You are NOT recording the Vocal Transformer effect, and Save is NOT recording the Vocal Transformer effect -- the Vocal Transformer plug-in has to be left there and be active [blue] to make that effect a permanent part of the song. If you were to remove the plug-in the effect would disappear -- hitting Save just makes sure that the plug-in will still be there the next time you open the song, as long as you didn't remove it from the slot [that's how all plug-ins work]. I don't really understand what you mean by "if I save under the file (and not close the project), no real savings" -- that doesn't make sense. If you Save your song, close the song, then come back, say, the next day, open it, and play the song, it should sound exactly the same as it did when you saved it, including any plug-in used in the song -- assuming you leave the plug-in inserted and active, as I said. If you don't close and re-open the song, everything would still be the same after you hit Save, so how could you say something wasn't saved..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: