Forums
This thread relates to...
GarageBand 101
Absolute Beginner's Guide
by: Vanacoro
More Info
  • Student492426
    Re: Help on getting the keyboard to play
    Joe, I wasn't using a microphone, I basically just connected it straight into the audio interface. I already have a specific kind of microphone that is used in connecting the microphone with the amplifier. The microphone is the mtp, 440 dm from the lewitt company. I will connect it with the amplifier that I use for my electric guitar. I just haven't done it yet. When you talk about using line or instrument, I am not sure which one I am using. How do I determine that? How do I make it on instrument. Thanks so much again. I will look into those videos.
  • Joe A
    Ok, if you're using a direct connection [1/4" cable] from a pickup in an acoustic guitar, that won't provide the same kind of nice, rich, open acoustic guitar sound that you'd get by recording an acoustic guitar with a decent mic. An acoustic guitar's onboard pickup is more suitable for live amplification [through a PA system] than for recording, where a mic is always preferred. But it's common to plug an electric guitar [or bass] straight into the interface [as opposed to miking up a guitar amp] -- in that case you'd want to use an Instrument input, which should be a 1/4" jack on the interface labelled either Instrument or Inst or sometimes Hi-Z.
  • Student492426
    I am not using an acoustic guitar, but an electric guitar. The wire is being plugged into 1L. There is a button below it called Hi-Z. I was told that that button always has to be on while recording on GarageBand. Is that instrument, you were talking about? If thats the case, then there isn't a way to get a better sound, apart from setting up a mic onto the amplifier.
  • Joe A
    Ok, yes the Hi-Z input is the Instrument input -- it should be used whenever you have an electric guitar or bass plugged directly into the associated 1/4" input in the interface [but only when you're recording those instruments]. As to sound quality issues, I'm a little confused.. You said you were using acoustic guitar presets -- acoustic guitar section, natural flat pick and echo strum -- were you trying to get the electric guitar to sound like an acoustic guitar? Those presets are not designed to do that, they're just supposed to take a real acoustic guitar recording and improve the sound quality a little. If you are looking for a regular electric guitar sound, then you could do one of two things: - Plug the electric guitar into a real guitar amp and mic up the amp - Plug the electric guitar in directly (to the Hi-Z input, as you are doing) and use an electric guitar preset on that track in GarageBand with an Amp Designer plug-in [which would simulate the sound of a real guitar amp]
  • Student492426
    Joe, thanks alot for the help. I did try to connect the electric guitar to a electric guitar sound but it was buzzing and wasn't clear. That's why I opted for the acoustic sound. Thanks again for all the help. I intend on soon setting up the electric guitar with a mic. I have all the equipment needed.
  • Student492426
    I am slowly slowly making sense of all this mess that I know nothing about. Cheers!
  • Joe A
    Hang in there, it'll all start to come together gradually..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: