macProVideo.com
Forums
  • dreemer
    A little new to GB. Need assistance on settings for USB mic setu
    Just bought a Centrance Micport pro USB mic setup to use for vocals on Garageband. When I go into my GB preference settings & general Imac setting to select the Centrance USB attached mic, the recording level slider in the right-hand panel goes to zero & greys out (as in not available for use). In the track I want to record (voice as intrument chosen, naturally) I am getting some level, but not very high. I should be able to use the slider on the RH to control incoming level, surely. Not being totally familiar with Garageband, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, or overlooking to do something. Appreciate any assistance. Program looks great other than that.
  • Christian L
    Re: A little new to GB. Need assistance on settings for USB mic
    Hi Dreemer, According to Centrance's website, you adjust gain with the Mic's knob, not on the your Mac. [i]How do I setup recording? 1. Make sure that your audio application has MicPort Pro selected as the default input/recording device. 2. Start recording in your application 3. Adjust the microphone input level of the MicPort'S preamp with the mic knob. [/i] Don't forget to activate the 48V button on the bottom of the MicPort when using a condenser mic. Tell me if it works! Christian
  • dreemer
    Thanks Christian, Seems that I overlooked the output in my preferences because when I changed that to 'built-in output', things seemed ok in the cans. And the level is now right up. Seems odd that! I still don't quite get it tho that I can't control the record level within GB. What, that's strictly for the Imac built-in mic? But certainly when the Centrance USB is connected, it asks you to change drivers, then the default becomes the Centrance, level & all. My tests thus far show it's an interesting little gadget, & when one gets used to it, can provide a fairly good-to great, low noise solution to recording Vocals for whatever purpose, on the road. With a mic of your choosing. I did my tests with a dynamic Sennheiser 421. Can now get rid of the Samson C03U USB mic I've been using. Thanks again for your assist.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi dreemer, Glad to hear you've got it working! The built-in record levels generally only affect the built-in mic. Often audio interfaces use their own hardware and software controls to control input levels. However, Garageband and Logic can provide options for input using integrated devices such as the Apogee Duet. Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: