macProVideo.com
Forums
  • dynamicalan
    Garageband Tutorials
    Hello, I noticed that Garageband Tutorials are built on Garageband 8 not 3.0.1 which is what comes with OS 10.4.11 However I don't know if Leopard 10.5 comes with iLife 08 so for those who want to purchase the tutorials it may not be useful without the application it built upon.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Garageband Tutorials
    Hi Alan, It sounds like you're still using iLife'06. All Mac's purchased since the release of iLife 08 come with iLife 08 pre-installed, which includes Garageband 4 (the '08 version). The tutorial is called Garageband 08 101: Core Garageband 08: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/Garageband08101[/url] OS X 10.5 Leopard is the operating system which is different from iLife '08 (a media suite containing iMovie, iPhoto, Garageband, iDVD, iWeb...) iLife'08 runs on OS X 10.4.11 Tiger or later. If any user doesn't have iLife '08 but is still running iLife'06 you can purchase iLife'08 from Apple or a reseller for about ã55 / $79. Cheers Rounik
  • dynamicalan
    Rounik, thanks for telling me. I understand that if I got a late 2006 macbookpro I would have gotten ilife 06 but I purchased a early 2006 in October of 2006 as a brand new computer. I don't think I have iLife however I do have Garageband 3 iPhoto iDVD and i Web. In any event $79 is a lot of money Alan
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Alan, iLife 06 was released on January 10th, 2006. Every Mac come bundled with iLife pre-installed. The iLife 06 suite included: iPhoto 6 iMovie HD 6 iDVD 6 Garageband 3 iWeb 1 Check your system / installation discs if you cannot find these versions of the iLife apps on your Mac. Bear in mind that iLife does not come in a separate box when bundled with a new Mac. Cheers Rounik
  • dynamicalan
    Rounik, thanks. I will try to get iLife 08. Do you think Garageband 8 or the tutorial on Garageband 08 would enhance Logic Studio other than the skills acquired by the mixing instruction Thanks, Alan
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Alan, Garageband is the entry level audio creation app and Logic Studio the Pro end... Logic studio comes with everything Garageband does and much, much more, as you know. What exactly are you looking to enhance or have enhanced? - Your skills producing music in Logic or - your ability to get around and use Garageband? Eitherway, Garageband has a funky feature Logic doesn't have. A quick and easy way to create podcasts, so if that's your thing, check out the specific tutorial we offer : Podcasting in Garageband: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/PodCastingGB[/url] All the Garageband tutorials are listed here: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/browse/GarageBand[/url] I must admit I haven't seen all the GB tutorials, but the one's I have seen are very good. Cheers Rounik
  • dynamicalan
    Rounik, Logic 8 uses some Garageband instruments which are Garageband 3 instruments but isn't it true that Garageband 8 would have more? I would like to enhance mixing skills however to enhance music in Logic but podcast could be interesting but I haven't tried to make a podcast. Thanks, Alan
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Alan, Garageband 4 has more than GB 3. this is true. But, Logic contains all that GB 4 contains and more. In fact, when you install iLife 08 you should select the option not to install the loops as you won't need them, I think. well, you can make a podcast using iMovie or iPhoto and then bring in the movie or slideshow into Logic and create a soundtrack and/or voice over for it there... However, Garageband's podcasting feature makes it very easy. It all depends what you want to use it for. There are many artists who use Garageband to write sketches or ideas for their songs and albums... but to mix i would go to Logic every time. The effects are better, Logic has powerful and more precise Mixer windows. Garageband is great, but is lacking all the Pro mixing features like Buses and Quality reverbs etc! Cheers Rounik
  • dynamicalan
    Rounik, is Garageband 8 what we are talking about or is the latest version Garageband 4
  • Rounik Admin
    Garageband 4 is the latest version that comes with iLife 08. There is no version Garageband 8 (yet!) but I understood you were talking about Garageband 08 as part of iLife 08. :-)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: