macProVideo.com
Forums
  • boze63
    GB files to iTunes sound sub-par...!!???
    Hi everyone. just found this place,..thank goodness for it. Perhaps someone can shed some light on my problem. I've made about 10 GB soundscapes and I'm ready to burn them to disk but I'd like to hear them 1st as a file before I burn them. The option of "Sending to iTunes" allows me to create the file as a MP3 or AAC with various types of compression (which I usually don't like). The main audio problem I hear after doing this is the the GB file sounds SO much cleaner, crisper, more "3D" than the file that appears in iTunes after I chose the "Sending to iTunes" option. Can this be fixed? Is there a better way to get my projects to disk without iTunes imposing compression and it's resulting "flatness"??? thanks in advance!!!
  • boze63
    Re: GB files to iTunes sound sub-par...!!???
    Thanks for the reply J.F. I'll give that a try. I know I can "un-click" the compress option but I don't think I actually heard a difference in the resulting iTune file. I could just burn it to disk directly, then load it up and chk the sound quality then. This way, however, makes me think that iTunes has this built in issue that results in a lower volume and a significant amount of compression. I know that there's an EQ there as well so I'll make sure that it's not engaged. Thanks for the info once again.
  • boze63
    Thanks again brother.........
  • Rounik Admin
    Just wanted to add something to JF's great post above. If you want to quickly listen back to audio files without opening an app, you can use Quickview in a Finder Window. Open a Finder Window. Navigate to the location of the audio file. Select it and press Spacebar. :)
  • boze63
    Ok, that's another option,...thanks. I think I should explain my issue a little more clearer... ...I have no trouble "hearing" or "listening" to my GB files. The problem I have is HOW it's being saved when it's converted from the "SHARING" options and the implied compression and/or vol.level, thus changing the "uhmph" factor the GB files have. So, reviewing this, I can sum it by asking: "What options do I have in converting my GB files to either MP3, WAV, or other where the sound quality & vol level is not compromised?"
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi, I see. JF explained it very well IMHO. Definitely, Export Song to Disk form the "Share" menu will give you the best quality. MP3 is a compressed file format, so it generally will not sound as good as an uncompressed format like .Aiff or .Wav When you use the "Export Song to Disk" option GB exports your song as an .aiff file. As JF suggests do NOT tell GB to "Compress" the song when exporting. Also, in: GB > Preferences [Advanced] make sure that 'Auto Normalize' is NOT checked. You can experiment with this option if you like to compare the difference between normalized and non normalized audio file. By the way, do you know about JF's Garageband tutorial? [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/garageband09101[/url] I'd really recommend it :) Hope that helps Rounik
  • boze63
    No, I didn't know,....... I'll chk it out as soon as I get home!!! Thanks to everyone. You guys are making it very clear for me to continue on....
  • sub par sound
    Re: GB files to iTunes sound sub-p...
    But if one wants to use these files in imovie, etc..., won't the sound still be compromised because it has to go through itunes in order to be used by the other programs? so annoying that itunes compromises the sound quality created by GB.
  • sub par sound
    Re: GB files to iTunes sound sub-p...
    awesome, thanks so much. still learning my way around all these programs. that helps!!! J
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: