macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Jim
    No Mic input just speaker & HeadPhones
    I have a Mac Pro INTEL but n the back I only have a speaker input and Headphones input. I have a Alesis Cable that is 1/4 inch to usb. I also h=use a Denon tuner amp connected to my mac with a 1/8 inch stereo mini jack going into the speaker input in my Mac and split rca's going into my Denon OUT/REC in the back. I have a small jpeg but don't have a way to attach it.
  • Bj
    Re: No Mic input just speaker & HeadPhones
    Hi Jim, On your Mac there will be Two 1/4 inch Sockets... The one with the 'Headphone Symbol' is the Output... The 'Other One' is the Input... You can connect a microphone to this Input... HTH, Cheers, Bj
  • Jim
    Thank you for your speedy reply. The one I'm in shows a speaker icon, I'm connected in that with an 1/8 in. mini stereo to a split rca that goes into my Denon receiver amp that powers my speakers.If I could send you the photo of the back of my Denon I could show you the options for that. But I think I have that correct. So should I plug into the HeadPhone or leave it where it's at in the speaker area. (at least it shows it as a speaker plug in).
  • Bj
    Hi Jim, It's best to use the Headphone Output to get the Sound out of your Mac... So connect your Denon via it... Even though the Other Sockets Icon looks like a speaker icon... it is in fact an Input Socket... and sound will not come out of it... Use this Socket to plug your Mic into. Both the Input and Output Sockets use Stereo Mini Plugs... (Not 1/4 inch as I inadvertently said previously...) HTH, Cheers, Bj
  • Jim
    Thanks much, I'll give it a try.
  • Cajypiu
    Re: No Mic input just speaker &...
    Hi Guys, just as a word of warning about using the 3.5mm input jack for a mic. It might looks like a speaker symbol but it's actually a line input and doesn't have a mic preamp built in. They used to but now they don't which is a shame in my opinion but there we go. What difference does this make I hear you cry.... about 45db! Mic signals are way way lower than line level signals therefore, you will have to amplify the signal coming in to the hilt and it will still sound awful compared to a proper mic preamp. It's also unbalanced and will pick up all kinds of noise.... can you tell I don't recommend it! I know some people out there that do so again, if you're really not fussed about how good something sounds and you just want to get something 'in' to the computer, then go for it. If you want a decent mic signal, then get a dedicated mic pre amp. Cheers, j
  • Bj
    Hi John, Thanks for pointing that out... as you say it is Line Level not Mic Level... On my old G5 iMac, before built in camera & mic were standard, you could plug a MIc into that Socket... Nowadays I use an interface so have not had the need to use the Line In for a MIc... and the G5 has been retired... Cheers, Bj
  • Jim
    Re: No Mic input just speaker &amp...
    Thank You for your reply. Can you give me a few example of a mic pre amp? jbechdel@comcast.net
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Guys, yeah Bj, my old powerbook had a mic pre on it and I used it quite a bit for skype if nothing else. When they dropped them, it wasn't a major, but I had to get a headset with a USB mic pre/ headphone socket on it and you know, it was another piece of kit you had to remember to take with you.... or another thing to get broken! Jim, pre amps come in all shapes, flavours and wallet lightening varieties! First off, if you have access to a mixer or PA, or already own something of such a nature, then they will have mic pres on them. For a quick solution, you could take a line output feed from the mixer and, with the right cable, plug that in to the 3.5mm line input on your computer. If you don't have a mixer or existing mic pre of any description, then you could look at getting a USB or firewire sound card to get one. Something such as the M-Audio solo or fast track are popular choices for people not wanting to shell out too much cash but get decent results. They can be found here. [url]http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.family&ID=USBinterfaces[/url] Depending on your budget and requirements they can go to esoteric prices, however, something else that might help us would be what mic you plan to use with it? Dynamic? Condenser (something that will probably need powering)? What do you plan on recording? Vocals? Guitars? What do you plan on doing with the recordings? Cheers, j
  • Jim
    Re: No Mic input just speaker &amp...
    I just bought the Alesis USB to 1/4 cable I have a pre1964 Fender Jassmaster and just want to take advantage of Garageband and any other amp modeling softwares i can find. I'm 61 year old and just want to have a little fun. I had a Line6 and couldn't get it to work sent it back to Sweetwater after 2 weeks of taking with sweetwater techs and Line6 techs. Then I bought the New Fender Stelth (I think thats the correct name) only to find out it would't bring my guitar up to line level. And now I have the Alesis. So Firat question: Should I be connecting my 1/8 in stereo mini into my Headphones in the back of my mac? and then into my Denon tuner Receiver. It has a pre amp in it so won't that help?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: