macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Mr. Lifto
    Compression/EQ
    Hi I realize this is a very broad question, but I'm wondering if anyone can help me find out where to start to learn basics of compression/EQ, ie anything from basic theory to methods. I'm on GB 09 (5) and having a good time, would just like to go further. Cheers
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Compression/EQ
    Hi Mr Lifto & welcome to the mpv forums! Compression: This is often used to even out the dynamics of a performance. e.g. if you record a vocal part where some parts are pretty loud and others too soft... and you want to even out the levels. A compressor can be used to make the quiet parts louder and the loud parts softer. There's a great tutorial about the effects for GB'08. The vast majority of plugins are exactly the same in GB 08 and 09, except 08 didn't have the GTR plugins... [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/GarageBand08202[/url] Hope this helps! Rounik
  • Mr. Lifto
    hi thanks for the quick response. this looks exactly like what i was looking for. your quick thumb-nail explanation helped too. in a way, obviously, the terms are self-explanatory but, as an absolute rookie to recording, i'm still a little at sea on how it's done and why, in a practical sense. i'm sure this'll move me along. cheers
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey, No probs! I forgot to mention EQ: In essence, the audible sound we can hear is between 20-20,000 Hz approximately. The EQ plugin allows us to raise or lower certain frequency bands... e.g. to take out some deep bass that may be making your song sound muddy... or raise the higher frequencies to give the song more 'life'. We use EQ to give each instrument it's own area / frequency band within the mix. e.g. to make sure the Kick drum and bass guitar don't completely overlap each other... Do let us know if you need any further help! Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: