macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Student444836
    Dragging multiple MIDI files into GarageBand
    I'm having a problem dragging multiple MIDI files into Garage Band. I drag 5 MIDI files, and I want them to end up on separate tracks, with the start of the MIDI file being at the start of the GarageBand song (bar1) What happens is an assortment of weird behaviour, depending on where I drag to. I either end up with 1 track with 5 MIDI files added to it serially, or 3 tracks with weird combinations of the 5 tracks on them. Is there a way to drag 5 MIDI files, and get 5 tracks, all starting at the same place?
  • Joe A
    Re: Dragging multiple MIDI files into GarageBand
    Hmm.. I got the same thing as your second example—GB went through the motions, but never actually imported more than 3 files out of the 5. It was the same whether I created destination tracks in advance, or just let GB create them. It looks like it should work, but since GB lacks the Logic MIDI import dialog box that lets you choose what to do with individual MIDI files (and apparently even lacks Logic's option to create multiple tracks in one go), maybe GB isn't really set up to do that after all. (I couldn't find any mention of importing multiple MIDI files in Apple's GB docs) What did work was importing a single MIDI file with 5 tracks—the import correctly pulled out all the separate tracks in the SMF to individual GB tracks. (I still had to assign the correct instruments, but I'd guess that if the MIDI tracks had included embedded program change messages GB might have assigned appropriate GM instruments) If the multiple MIDI files are all from the same session, and you have access to the source, you could save them all as a single MIDI file and import that, which seems to work. But if they're different MIDI files from different sources, it seems like you may have to bring them in one by one..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: