macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Student456124
    Mic/headphone conflict
    Hi, I have just upgraded from an older iPad with a headphone jack to an iPad Pro. I also bought a multi socket adaptor to allow me to use normal headphones. The problem is, when I’m trying to record vocals using the inbuilt microphone. GarageBand automatically turns off the internal mic when it has something plugged into the USB port. If I use wireless headphones, the latency is to dramatic and not viable. Can anyone please provide a solution?! Thanks
  • Joe A
    Re: Mic/headphone conflict
    Hi - The desktop version of GarageBand has a Feedback Protection option (for audio tracks)—if the iPad version has that as well, maybe try turning it off (if it's on)..? The Help doc says "If you select your computer’s built-in microphone as the audio input (in the Audio/MIDI pane of GarageBand preferences), monitoring is turned off for all Electric Guitar tracks to avoid unwanted noise". If you're using a guitar track maybe try recording on a regular audio track instead (you could open the "Plug-ins" triangle (in the Smart Control Editor) and add guitar amp/FX plug-ins if needed). If none of that works, you could always pick up an inexpensive USB mic, which would sound much better than the built-in mic anyway (around $40-$99).
  • Student467054
    Hello, I have the same proble. When I plug my headphones into my iPad Pro via USB Hub which has more ports the internal mic is turned off and I can’t monitor the signal using my headphones. Have you solved this issue? That would help me a lot I cannot find the answer anywhere.
  • Joe A
    The O.P. never verified whether my suggestion worked for him, but I guess I'd make the same suggestion -- check the i/o [input/output] settings: internal mic selected, [headphone] monitoring turned on. I don't have an iPad/iPhone here, but here are a couple of links to videos from two of our courses that describe recording audio in GB on an iPad or iPhone with a mic. They both show the use of an external/USB mic, but maybe you'll see something in there [recording settings?] that will help.. https://www.macprovideo.com/video/garageband-for-ios-101-explained-and-explored/17-17-recording-audio https://www.macprovideo.com/video/garageband-ipad-mac-and-beyond/11-11-using-a-usb-microphone PS - Can you test by plugging the headphones directly in without the USB hub, just in case that might be related..?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: