macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Hexapye
    environmental issues
    hello, I am trying to configure my environment in a way that i can record on multiple midi channels simultaneously i am sure there is a way to do it in the environment but i couldnt find the way. The other thing is whenever i record on a midi channel all midi data from the other midi port is recorded,too.In my environment the midi instruments are cabled seperately each from the corresponding port (there are 2 instruments with internal sequencers connected from 2 seperate ports) i d really appreciate it if someone can tell me how to do it.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: environmental issues
    Hi myconoid There is a better explanation than I can give in the Logic Pro 8 User Manual on page 93. You can check it out in pdf version by going to the Help menu in Logic and selecting "Logic Pro 8 User Manual". Hope that helps ;) Rounik
  • Hexapye
    hi rounik, Thanx for the advice i read it but the stuff written is a bit general and what i need to know is how to route the coming signal to multiple midi outs.I think this is done with the channel splitter but there is not a detailed information on how to use it on the manual.i ll be happy if you have any suggestions. The second problem: midi data on both device are being recorded to the same midi track although they are from seperate midi ports.it doesnt make sense.logic behaves as if i cabled the sum port of the physical input to the seq input in the environment.can there be something that i am doing wrong in the song settings or the preferences that has to do with this? Thank you
  • AbbeyRhodes
    I've had a similar problem. I've set up a project for live use, where i've got physical instrument ports routed directly to the channel strip of the instrument that it is controlling. This works for my purposes, since i'm playing live and not recording, but i can't record any instruments that are configured this way. I'll explain what i've done though, because it should get you half way there. You need to go to the Clicks and Ports page in the environment and disconnect the SUM port from the Physical Input (SUM is all midi ports combined). Then you can cable individual ports to individual channel strips. You might need to either a) cut and paste the channel strips from the mixer into the clicks and ports page or b) put the physical input object in the mixer page in order to cable them up Another thing to note is that the ports on the physical input are assigned seemingly arbitrary names (my padkontrol is called Port A, and my x-station port doesn't even have a name, it's just a blank space). You'll need to just try connecting each port to a channel strip to determine which is which. You'll notice that this allows the controllers to play specific instruments, but they won't record. I think you need to patch the output of the channel strips into something else, but i don't know what (sequencer input doesn't work). If you figure it out please tell me because i can't figure this part out myself!
  • Gozagaa
    Make sure that each instrument is on it's own port and in the inspector be certain to select a different midi channel per instrument and be sure to select the same transmit/receive channel "internally" in the keyboard. So for instance, keyboard 1= port 1, midi channel 1, keyboard 2= port 2, midi channel 2 and so on.. hope that was clear.
  • Hexapye
    hi again, I ll try to explain my clicks and ports layer connections. -each midi intrument is defined as a multi instrumnet object in the clicks and ports layer and connected to a seperate midi port of the physical input. -each multi instruments' output is routed to the corresponding midi port.(The port it is connected in the phisical input and in the midi interface) -Each multi instrument objects' channel setting is set to all and channels 1 through 6 on one instrument and 1 through 10 on the other are assigned to appropriate midi channles.(small boxes are assigned to individual midi channels) -The multi inst objects are connected to the sequencer input. Song settings>recording>midi>auto demix by channel ... is checked In the arrange window i record on the track that transmits to all midi channels(the track assigned to the multi instrument object) and record arm the sub channels of the instrument before recording.when i hit stop automatically the sequence is divided between the sub channels this works as it should be for recording.But, there is an interference between the multi instrumnents in a way that is weird to me. When both the intruments are cabled(as above)and Logic transmits clock signal to both they are not recorded seperately even when i disconnect one of the instruments the disconnected one is still being recorded on top of the other.This stops when clock signal is sent to just one.Also one of the instruments transmits note on commands to the other one even when it is disconnected to the physical input.I hope i was clear enough to explain the problems i am struggling with for the last 2 days.it feels like a problem with the new interface i got.any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thank you
  • steveH
    When you say "each midi intrument is defined as a multi instrumnet object in the clicks and ports layer and connected to a seperate midi port of the physical input." Are you physically connecting them to the physical input? Steve H.
  • Christian L
    If I understand correctly, you want to record different MIDI channels on different tracks. Here's how : 1-Go to File > Project Setting > Recording > and check "Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording 2-Make sure your 2 MIDI controllers are sending on 2 different MIDI channels. 3-Hit the "R" button in the track header for each track. 4-Hit record! I'm not sure if it works exactly the same way if you have Multiple MIDI ports though. One thing is sure is that you will want the "Auto demix by channel..." to be checked. Christian
  • Hexapye
    hi, yes i do, but i was not connecting them before and i had the same problems when logic transmits midi clock to both ports.somehow one device is sending note on messages to the other when midi clock is transmitted to both.(both devices have internal sequencer and their tempos are slaved to logic)
  • Hexapye
    hi christian, i dont have problem with recording them anymore my problem is that 1 one of the midi instruments is sending note on messages to the other on a seperate port.both devices are connected to seperate ports on the midi interface and in the environment.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: