macProVideo.com
Forums
  • RickZ
    Controlling External MIDI Device
    I have an external Roland XV-5050 module connected in my Logic environment (and two others). I have the program box checked and I can select patches from within the selection area to the right of the box. It works great. My challenge is that I am trying to set it up so I can have many designated tracks with my Roland in a Logic file with different patches so I can just click on the correct track to access those sounds for live performance. It says in the Logic manual that when a track is selected (and the program box is checked) that the program change information is sent. However, for instance, if I have two different tracks of my Roland synth using different patches and I select each track the program message is not being sent or accepted and just stays on the last patch that I had selected to the right of the program checkbox. I am frustrated... If I used many different patches of the ES3 synth, for instance, the tracks would be active upon selection because I guess that I have actually loaded multiple synths rather than using the same one. Is this my problem? A solution? Why can't it always send a patch change when I select the track? This challenge is really holding me up to designing some really cool layered patches using both external (three external synths) and internal synths. If the external patch is not sent when I click on a different track, I can't see how I'll be able to incorporate external and internal synths and have it for immediate recall for live performance. There has to be a solution, so I need a Logic Master to help. I also have a MOTU MIDI microlite 5 to send to each external synth separately (since my wind controller only transmits on channel 1). I posted a few days ago with no response. If you can't help, can someone please direct me somewhere else. I have purchased many tutorials here at MacProVideo.com Best Wishes to you.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Controlling External MIDI Device
    Hi Z-bro Have you tried using the panic button to reset MIDI. Either double click on the MIDI IN/MIDI OUT display in the Transport or set up a key command for it, default for me is: CTRL-Shift-` I don't have your synth to try this out, but I had a few environments collected over the years for different synths. I can't remember where I got this one from - but feel free to download it and try it out to see if it helps your issue: [url]http://www.sendspace.com/file/i9sais[/url] Also, if nobody replies to a thread please don't post a completely new thread. Do post again in the old thread, otherwise it can become hard to keep track of which thread to reply to. Let us know if this helps Cheers Rounik
  • RickZ
    Dear Rounik, Thank you so much for the tip. Yes, this works!! I can now set up many different "patches" utilizing the same external synths in one arrange window. All I have to do is select them in the track and resend the midi info (I set it up as "S" key command. Is there a way to set up a midi message to select different tracks (instruments that control synths), kind of like performances? I am setting up my arrange window so I am only showing the instrument that is controlling multiple external and some internal synths (hiding individual tracks). It will be awesome to use a foot controller and then maybe another midi pedal message to resend midi info to arm the tracks. Any thoughts? You have made my life better. Thank you for helping!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey z-Bro, Thank you for your kind words & I'm very glad that it's all working for you! :) To select different tracks using MIDI controllers I'd use the Key commands controller assignment window: 1. Press Option-K (Logic > Preferences > Key commands) 2. type in "next" in the search field 3. select [i]next with track[/i] 4. Click on [i]learn new assignment[/i] in the bottom right corner. 5. press down on the foot controller or any other midi controller button. It should now be set up to scroll down track by track. Do the same for previous but using a different midi control. Cheers! Rounik
  • RickZ
    Dear Rounik, I haven't been near my gear for a few days (I am swamped with my end of the year teaching as a band director), but just wanted to thank you again. I am looking forward to this set-up and working on it over the weekend. You are awesome. Best Wishes, Rick
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Rick, Thank you for your kind words. It's my pleasure :) Hope you enjoy setting up and using the MIDI controller! It's almost too much fun I think. Do pop back if you have any questions. Have a great weekend ;) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: