macProVideo.com
Forums
  • steveonbass
    2 year old Macbook: Good enough for Logic?
    Hi, A friend of mine is selling the following Macbook Pro: 2 years old 2.0ghz core duo 2.0gb RAM 100gb hard drive He'd sell it to me for £750GBP (approx $1475) I think this is a pretty good deal and he's a Mac expert (web and networking support). Do you think a Macbook Pro of this age and spec would be good enough and powerful enough to run the latest Logic with plenty of audio and software instrument tracks and plug ins? Another friend of mine recently recorded our band's live album on a 2.2(?)ghz Macbook but is running mostly audio tracks and plugins. Any thoughts? (I'm currently using a 12" G4 Powerbook with an M-Audio Firewire 410 but the computer struggles with any more than a few audio tracks and definitely reaches its limit when I use any more than 4 or 5 software instrument tracks. Best wishes, Steve
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: 2 year old Macbook: Good enough for Logic?
    Hi Steve Considering the latest MBP entry levels weigh in at about 1200 quid, it seems to be a pretty good deal. The only deal breaker might be that it's a core duo, not core2duo and i suspect will only be able to take up to 3GB ram (or perhaps the max is 2GB). That's significant for running lots of plug-ins and I'd have to say that Logic 8 runs best on at least 2GB of ram. Also, if you're running lots of samples and instruments then definitely invest in a firewire external HD and run your projects and loops etc from it. Especially if the internal disk is 5400rpm. You should see a definite improvement from your powerbook. I did from my G4 PB when i upgraded to a core2duo imac 2.16. It was an amazing change! Another consideration, IMHO would be to investigate the new macbooks (not macbook pro's). They were upgraded about 2 months ago, can expand to use upto 4 GB ram, and the spec are pretty similar to their bigger brother (MBP). Only big downside if you don't mind not having a pci exansion card slot and a smaller screen size and a glossy screen...is the integrated graphics card - it's no where near as powerful as the MBP. This would be a consideration if you wanted to run FCP studio - like motion graphics utilities etc, but would be fine for everyday tasks. You could pick up a decent one with a superdrive (cd/dvd burner), 2.4Ghz, 160GB drive, 2GB ram included for about £830 from the Apple store! You could also upgrade the HD to 250GB! Also upgrade ram later to 4GB much cheaper than via the apple store too. It's a tough call. If you can, pop into an Apple store or reseller and try out the macbook if you can. Let us know if you have any other questions. Cheers Rounik
  • steveonbass
    Thanks a lot Rounik, That's very helpful. I was considering a Macbook before my friend offered me the MBP. I don't mind the smaller size and I would like to have something a bit more current. I wasn't keen on having to spend at least £1299 right now though so the Macbook might be the way forward to get me started on a nice powerful system. All the best and thanks a lot, Steve
  • Rounik Admin
    No problem Steve, Let us know how you get on & what you think of Logic on your new macbook. All the best,, Rounik
  • AbbeyRhodes
    I'm running a Macbook, and i've upgraded the ram to 4GB and HD to 200GB through OWC which saves a ridiculous amount of money (~$1000 no kidding). And Rounik is right, you'll want all the beef you can get to run Logic. When you start maxing out the CPU, its not fun. You have to keep adjusting the buffer size to get that extra little bit of headroom when you mix then switch it back when you're tracking to minimise lag. Ugh. (i just realised you're probably familiar with this having run a G4!) My macbook 2.2 (core 2 duo) ran all of Logic's stuff perfectly and never even approached the cpu limit. It's only the more intense 3rd party plugins like native instruments and izotope that really started to push it into the red.
  • steveonbass
    Thanks a lot Fusilli. All helpful stuff. Was wondering today whether or not I actually need a laptop for recording my own projects. It might be better for me to consider a new iMac instead, but that would negate the possibilities of mobile recording of other musicians. Lots to think about though! Steve
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: