macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Tozyboy
    Advanced MIDI question for LP8 experts...
    Hi, This might be easy, or very complicated, I'm guessing more the later. So... here's what I'm trying to do: I would like to record an arpeggio midi data that is being sent by my keyboard (Motif XS) to a LP8 midi track in real time. The problem I'm encountering is that the LP8 midi track that is recording the arpeggio is sending the midi data back to the (Motif XS), which is creating a midi-feedback (or midi echo) problem. Are there any LP8 Midi Gurus on this forum that have some experience in how to "disable" a LP8 midi track from transmitting the midi data of the arp, back into the Motif XS ? Any feedback on this detail would be great help. Thanks.
  • steveH
    Re: Advanced MIDI question for LP8 experts...
    Hi! Some questions: How is your Motif connected up to your computer? How is your computer connected to your Motif? What is your MIDI interface? Are you using the Motif to play a software instrument, or is it being routed to itself? Is the "local" control of the Motif on or off?
  • Tozyboy
    Hi Steve, The Motif is connected to my Mac Pro via (USB). The Motif is routed to itself. (I'm not trying to play a sw instrument). For the type of function I'm trying to accomplish, which is to record the Motif's internally generated arps, which it could transmit via midi out setting on the motif, to LP8 in real time. For normal recording operations, the motif's Local is usually turned (OFF), but for this specific function, it is turned (ON), since the motif has to generate the midi notes internally, and then send them via mid out to Logic via (USB). The problem is that the track/s in Logic that are receiving the arps on independent midi-channels are being trasmitted back (echoed back) to the Motif, hence creating a midi-feedback issue. I tried to set the midi port of the motif ( which is an external multi-instrument to (OFF), which seems to kind of work, but not properly, I still think I have a midi feedback issue. I also read in the LP8 manual, that if I do not enable the record button on the LP8 midi track, the (R) button, the track's (midi thru) will be disabled, I tried this, but that did not work as well. I'm not sure if you are able to figure out what I'm trying to accomplish, so if you need any additional info. please let me know. Thanks.
  • Tozyboy
    Here is some more info. about how the motif's arpeggio function: The (Motif XS) has four independent arp generators, each arp can be set to transmit via a midi out channel (i.e. arp1 on Ch 1, arp 2 on Ch 2, Arp 3 on Ch 3, Arp 4 on Ch 4). In LP8 I have set up four tracks each receiving the arp on the corresponding channel (1,2,3,4) I also have enabled the option : "Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording", which is found in File > Project Settings > Recording> " in LP8. So, if this was to work properly (but so far it has not), I would end up with four Logic midi tracks, that contain the arpeggios that were sent by the Motif. I can then turn Local (OFF) on the Motif, and set the proper port to Motif's USB Port. and disable the Motif Arps, and play the arp midi data from LP8, which will trigger the motif's sounds. My guess is that there is still a midi loop issue, which is going back to the Motif. Do you think there might be a need to do some additional customization in the (Environment Window) to resolve this issue ? or is LP8 capable of handling this without going into that extra step ? I hope this additional info is helpful. Thank You.
  • steveH
    Here's a quick idea: Have you tried to use the "Capture Last Take as Record" key command? This allows you perform your parts in "PLAY" mode and then, if you like them, you can write them to MIDI after the take. Not being in record could possibly resolve the feedback issue. See P 382 in the manual: [i]Retrospective Recording of MIDI Regions If you played a great solo while playback was running, but werenât in record modeâ donât worry. Simply use the Capture as Recording key command. All events you played (after the last playhead change) will be added to the recorded MIDI regionâjust as if you had been in record mode. [/i] Let me know if this helps... if not there are other solutions! Steve H.
  • Tozyboy
    Hi Steve, Interesting idea, but it does not solve the midi-feedback problem. Actually, I found a way to do solve the midi-feedback issue, and that is basically by setting the midi device's "Port" parameter to "Off". Hopefully this might be some helpful info. As far as dealing with the motif XS problem, I was finally able to record multiple arps in real time, the procedure is a bit convoluted, and certain parameters must be set during the recording of the arps, and then changed during the play back from LP8. Setting the midi "Port" parameter to "Off" was a key factor in getting things to work. Thanks.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: