macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Kwackman
    Subtlities in the Mixing R&B tutorial
    Hi, I've just finished watching and listening to the Mixing R&B video. I learned a lot from it. Just watching someone else using Logic was great. I picked up wee things I'd probably never have thought of. But, and this isn't a problem with the video, some of the subtle stuff he was doing- I just couldn't hear the difference sometimes. Some of the EQ, some of the compression- over my head (or should that be past my ears!) I'm listening in fairly good conditions with decent speakers and I tried headphones occasionally too. I'm happy to accept that it's just my brain not hearing what others can hear. I'm not being overly humble about this, I know I can spot things in mixes other can't, and they can hear and analyze stuff I can't even hear! Watching last last bits of the video tonight, where he was riding the gains on the guitar and bass track was one of those times. I mean he lifted the gain of the guitar by 0.4dB, and the bass was even less I think. Now he didn't solo when he did this, so you're trying to hear this in a mix, and I could hear no difference. But, I'm convinced, even if the track WAS solo'd, I'd still not hear a gain difference of 0.4 dB. Like I said, I'm not knocking the video, nor questioning the talents of David Isaac- far from it. I'm just sort of interested in hearing if others found some of the differences hard to hear?
  • Vivisuy
    Re: Subtlities in the Mixing R&B tutorial
    I have been using Logic for 2 years and I have learned that the subtle adjustments are more powerful than the extreme. The Mixing R&B Tutorial really opened my eyes. I had been overdoing some of my effects (That's an understatement). He uses reverb in a totally different way. I have been using it almost as a special effect. He uses it for surgical sound placement. I will have to watch the tutorial again to really learn it. I am really curious as to what the CPU power was on the Mixing R&B. I have a G5 dual 2.3. I wonder if I can use the same number of Space Designers? I'm going to watch R&B again & again. Honestly..I was really amazed. Good Luck, S. College
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: