macProVideo.com
Forums
  • logic pro
    Tutorial request for external processors and inst
    Steve- I'm a new subscriber and think your tuts are the bomb. Great stuff. I would like you to do a tutorial on using external gear as in compressors,reverbs,etc. As I have loads of great analog stuff I want to use on mixes. I have used the I/O in logic but am not sure if there is a way to set up a delay in the arrange window to compensate for the analog/digital conversion of the audio which will always have a delay. I know this can be done with logic instruments/fx within the program. Or if you have a quick fix for this please comment. BTW I preordered your next batch of tips. Thanks John
  • steveH
    Re: Tutorial request for external processors and inst
    Are you familiar with the region parameter box in the inspector? If it's not open, click on the topmost disclosure triangle to reveal it! Now click on any region to get and set parameters about that region. One of the parameters is :"Delay". If your external midi synths are latent, [b] select the regions [/b] triggering that synth and enter a negative delay value which, in effect, is an advance. So those selected regions will be played back a little earlier than the internal regions resulting in the neutralizing of the latency. Once the magic number is established, it should work for all tracks play that particular external synth! Every ext. synth will have it's own unique delay. This is a great topic for a TNT...thanks John!!!
  • logic pro
    Thanks Steve, That's a good fix for midi triggered events. Is there a fix for the return from an external processor that is coming back as audio? The fix I've used in the past ,which is a pain, is to record the return as audio then line up the region. This is not a precise way and was hoping there was some other way like with midi latency to alter a tracks audio return maybe have the whole sequence delay to compensate. Thanks John
  • steveH
    By putting a negative delay on the midi that is being sent to the external box you are, in effect, alighning the returning audio... Get it?
  • logic pro
    Steve,I get it. What I'm asking is not a midi related question using midi timing as the delay. Say my track is an audio track (not midi), a vocal or bass line I want to use an external compressor on. There is always delay from the analog to digital conversion going in and out through the analog external gear to the computer via the digital converters. Is there a way to compensate for this in logic so they line up? It's usually only a few ms. Thanks J
  • Rounik Admin
    After you have recorded the audio set the Delay value to the relative negative amount in the audio region's parameter box in the Inspector. Cheers Rounik
  • logic pro
    I'll give it a try. Thanks a bunch. now all the vintage analog gear I have will get into my mixes again. J
  • steveH
    Of course this assumes that you want to record the audio as regions... however it seems as though you are just talking about returning the processed audio into your mix... right?
  • steveH
    Read pages 849-852 in the manual... it may be helpful!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: