macProVideo.com
Forums
  • the dim(e)
    fat bass synths on logic
    Has anyone got any presets they manipulate on a particular logic synth for ultra fat dirty bass synth cheers Tom
  • AbbeyRhodes
    Re: fat bass synths on logic
    Heh, I love questions like this. But i'll do the annoying thing and answer your question with another question - What sort of style of music are you producing? And do you have any examples of songs or sounds that you consider to be particularly "fat" and "dirty"? Maybe scroll through the presets in ES2, find one that you like but that you wish was perhaps a little more fat and dirty. I mean my idea of a fat and dirty bass sound would be this: http://www.myspace.com/thepresets And I spent a whole morning recreating it to perfection.
  • thesnoc
    I would love to know how you went about putting together the bass sound from The Presets.
  • AbbeyRhodes
    Ok, this is how i do it, other people may have different methods so please feel free to contribute (or tell me i'm full of crap). I just had another go at remaking the sound using just logic plugs so i can give you an example. I'll try and make it simple so you get the idea and can build on it from there. I think the key to a massive angry fat dirty bass sound is in multi band processing (and side chaining, but that comes in later). If you don't have a multiband distortion like Izotope Trash, go get it now! Otherwise you can do it old skool (more fun) by setting up busses and filtering them. Start with the ES2 preset called Monster Sine. Disable the master output on the channel strip and send it instead to 2 busses (you can use more, but 2 will be fine for this example). On the first bus insert an EQ and set a low pass at about 80Hz, 48dB/8ve. On the second, insert a high pass at 80Hz, 48 dB/8ve. Basically you're separating the sound into the 1: sub frequencies and 2: everything else (you can add as many bands as you want, just make a new send and filter it as you please. Also have a play around with these cutoffs, 80 is a good place to start but adjust it according to the sound you want). Next take your overdrive (i'd reccomend clipdist) and insert it on the higher band, leaving the lower band clean. Add as much drive as you want, go crazy if you want a super dirty sound. Because you're not driving the low end it'll still sound huge, but you get the full drive from the lower mid to treble instead. Now balance the two (or more) bands in level using the aux channel faders. Next sidechain compress the heck out it, i think the VCA model on Logic compressor is great for bass side chaining. You should be able to get an approximation of that My People sound pretty easily this way, it won't quite be the same, i say get NI Massive and Trash if you want better though. I've got something that sounds ALMOST exactly the same. Hope that makes sense, let me know if it doesn't though.
  • thesnoc
    Thanks for the explanation! I will be playing around with amount of bands, cutoffs, etc for days now. Also, thanks for recommending Trash...fantastic plugin. thesnoc
  • AbbeyRhodes
    If you want to have even more fun, try making more bands and PANNING then to different stereo locations. Even better use a stereo tremolo on one band at quarter note sync, and another at dotted quarter sync, for multiband polyrhythmic panning. Alternatively get a similar effect with your sidechain comp, by using a long attack time on one and a short attack time on the other, and pan them. Now you're cooking!
  • the dim(e)
    HI Fusilli, excuse my newness...... but what do you mean by different stereo location? also one band quarter note sync? Cheers Tom
  • Christian L
    [quote:39187]HI Fusilli, excuse my newness...... but what do you mean by different stereo location? also one band quarter note sync? Cheers Tom[/quote] Hi Tom, 1-Panning to different stereo location means to pan the 2 sounds to different position (left and right) using the channel strip "Pan" control. 2-In the Tremolo plugin, you will set the rate to 1/4 for quarter note, and 1/4d for dotted quarter note. These are musical rhythmic values. Nice tips Fusilli! Christian
  • AbbeyRhodes
    That's right. Thanks Christian. I should also add that the advantage of multibanding using sends is that you can apply any effect you want to each band, as opposed to a self contained plugin like Trash, where you're limited to the effects within the plugin. However the tradeoff is you might start accruing a fair amount of latency and/or cpu use on just one sound. Most of my wackiest and also some of my favourite sounds were created using this method. It's a bit of a bastard trying to save the whole setup as some kind of preset though...
  • kcb
    hey there fat & dirty bass? not sure if you like my idea of fat bass, but if you like track 1 on my myspace.. ill give you the channel strip setting via email ... www.myspace.com/djkcbaker :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: