macProVideo.com
Forums
  • KcR
    Sub Mixing
    With 10 tracks for a hook, is there a better workflow to apply same compression to all. Is it to output those tracks to a Bus or create an other output 3&4 etc then apply compression Thanks KcR
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Sub Mixing
    Hey Chris, I'd output them to a bus and apply compression on the bus' insert. A quick way to do this: 1. In the Mixer drag over (to select) the tracks you want to add the compression to. 2. Click on the output of one of the tracks and select Bus 10 (for example). 3. An Aux track (with the input of bus 10) will appear in the Mixer. 4. Add the compression to that track. If you haven't already, check out the Logic 404: Mixing electronica tutorial: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/prodElectro[/url] or the Logic 101: Core Logic 8: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/Logic8101[/url] Cheers Rounik
  • KcR
    Hey Rounik Thanks again. I am sending all tracks to Bus 1 which has the Reverb. Should I insert compression there or send to another bus. Oh wait, bus 1 is the level, for compression I am sending the whole output, right? Chris
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Chris, When you "send" to a bus you can choose how much of the signal is sent. When you choose to route the output to a bus, the whole signal of the channel goes through the bus to the relevant Aux track. So, really, it depends on you. If you want the whole signal being processed by the compressor then output it to the bus, otherwise use a send. Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:17576]I am sending all tracks to Bus 1 which has the Reverb. Should I insert compression there or send to another bus. Chris[/quote] I would route the signal to a different bus for compression. By the way what kind of music do you make? Cheers Rounik
  • KcR
    Hey Rounik, I agree, a seperate bus for compression. My music : african influence on funk, smooth jazz. And you? Chris
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Chris, I do ambient, some glitch & electronic, some acoustic stuff too. Try out placing a reverb after the compressor on the bus too. It really depends on the sound you want to achieve. It can be good to try out different techniques and see what works for a particular sound. Also, it can be interesting to mix in stems, e.g. to send your drums to one bus for compression, your keys to another bus, bass to another bus, guitars...etc etc. Cheers Rounik
  • KcR
    Rounik, I like that. I am feeling more empowered with submixing. I inserted a Multipress compressor...not too familiar with it....but I played with the presets and got some interesting vocals...since I am trying to build a choir like hook with all tonal ranges....Now I'll try your recipe for a Reverb on the same bus... Thanks again
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: