macProVideo.com
Forums
  • macnando
    recording vocals
    How I can record vocals in Logic and get that warm and thick sound one gets when using expensive preamps like Avalon,etc. Any help? Thanks in advance, macnando
  • Matt
    Re: recording vocals
    what kit are you using mic/preamp wise?
  • macnando
    Hi Matt, Thanks for you reply. My system is quite simple, I use a M-Audio Firewire 410 interface that has pre-amps built in and a AKG C-3000B mic. I know one cannot do magic but, this is what I have so far. Thanks for any tip.
  • steveH
    Hi, Nothing beats the sound of a great singer, in a great room, using a great mic connected to a great pre-amp, recorded by a great engineer. There are no easy shortcuts. If ANY of those variables are missing, then there is no magic. But magic aside, the quality of your preamp and/or converter is the link in the chain where you, as producer, may have the oppurtunity to enhance your production. Spend the money and buy a top-of-the-line converter like, perhaps, the great Apoggee products or something similar. That way when that great vocalist walks in the door you'll be ready!
  • macnando
    Hi Steve, You are completely right, but I got to try the best with what I have and, after Logic Bundle, I got Logic Pro, let's say, step by step...At least, Igor is not around to explode my small lab..
  • steveH
    Yeah... back to reality! Have you looked at the wonderful "control strip setting"s on the Audio Channels? Some of those vocal settings are teriffic and can truly enhance your overall vocal sound! If you don't know where they are, they're located behind that tiny little triangle to the right of the word "insert" on the channel strips. AND, every kind of channel strip (audio, instrument, bus and output) have settings that apply to that kind of channel. (For instance, the output channels have mastering settings) By the way, Igor, who refused to make a cameo in UltraBeat Unleashed has already expressed his desire to be my assistant in the next tutorial... as soon as we decide what it should be! in the mean time, can he be your intern? :) It's a start!
  • macnando
    Hi Steve, Thanks for this precious tip, it will help a lot when trying out good vocal results, nice shortcut! In case Igor doesn't mind to come down all the way long to South America, be my guest! Who knows, maybe in the near future I'll apply to a NYC macaudiotrainers course and then I would meet Igor in person. That's first on my wish-dream list!
  • steveH
    We've had students from Sweden! You'd be our first from S.A.! Igor would be pleased to me you!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: