macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Cemupoa
    Aaaargh!!! White Noise while recording audio
    Hi, Just lately I have been experiencing a truly awful problem in Logic 8. Having been recording audio for about an hour, I suddenly get this blast of white noise which simply won't stop. It happened today and I thought it was going to damage my hearing as I had 'phones on at the time. I use a Mac Pro, 4 gig of RAM and a tc electronics Konnekt 48 interface. I've used Logic for well over 5 years now but I am really scared to do so any more. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a cure? My son tells me that he gets this on his MPB as well. Let's face it it's hard enough recording at home as it is without having to suffer this!!! Thanks for any help Les
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Aaaargh!!! White Noise while recording audio
    Hi Les, Can you detail what you were doing while recording? Any particular process/plugins? Were you recording guitars or vocals? I'm inclined to think this may be a problem with the TC Konnect or the MacPro... I've never come across this, but have read of m-audio interface users suffering white noise at times. I've also read some users who have been concerned with TC Konnekt's drivers and noise issues... [url]http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=908758[/url] Check out the above link to a Sonar forum thread and search for "noise". Here are a coupe more links to ""white noise" and the TC Konnect: [url]http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1614053&page=6[/url] [url]http://forum.tcelectronic.com/viewtopic.php?pid=2622[/url] Does your son use the TC Konnect when recording to his MBP? Does this happen when recording from the built-in microphone or line-in? I understand you will be cautious about testing this out Have you downloaded the latest drivers from TC & the latest update for Logic? Let us know how you get on. Rounik
  • Cemupoa
    Hi, I was recording my vocal to a "string quartet" using several instances of Philharmonik Miroslav. My son has told me he cured this problem by turning off "Punch On The Fly". Do you think this could be the culprit? He thinks that the problem lies with Logic still writing to the disk whilst playing back. He uses an M-Audio interface.. I can confirm that I have the latest tc driver and version of Logic. Thanks for your help. Les
  • AbbeyRhodes
    I could be way off, but it's possible. Are you using any demo plugins? A lot of companies who release demo versions of plugins basically make them unusable by having the plug create a short little blast of white noise periodically while running.
  • Rounik Admin
    I haven't tried extensive recording in Logic 8.0.2 using punch on the fly, but certainly in 8.0.1 on my iMac with a presonus firebox I've never had any issues like this. Neither before in the past 7 years of using Logic. I'm more inclined to think his may be a driver issue from the TC and/or M-audio side, or an issue with Leopard? Are you recording to an external drive? Infact the only time I've suffered with white noise has indeed been, as Fusili suggests, from demo plug-ins that after xx minutes kick in with white noise! Maybe there are other m-audio or TC Konnect users who would try recording with punch on the fly enabled. What are your buffer settings and out of interest are you playing back many tracks with many plug-ins while you are recording? Cheers Rounik
  • Darren
    YES!!! Me too. I thought that my audio interface was going faulty (Edirol FA66). The only way I have found to stop it is to restart Logic. I never had this problem in Logic 7 only 8.
  • Cemupoa
    Hi, No, I'm not using any demo software that spoils the sound with white noise - I know what you mean by this. I'm recording to my Mac Pro's internal drive. All I can say is that so far since I've disabled "Punch On The Fly" I've had no further trouble. I'll keep you posted Les
  • Cajypiu
    Not discrediting what it could or could not be but another thing that can help with these matters is emptying the cache of your song file and zapping the PRAM. (hold down command option 'p' and 'r' I think it is, or it might be command and control. That makes sure all info is out of your RAM/ system which can sometimes confuse software if the data gets corrupted. How old is your Mac Pro? Are you using ECC RAM?
  • Rounik Admin
    To reset pram press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys as Yadj suggests. More info can be found here: [url]http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379[/url] Incidentally, a new update for Leopard, 10.5.3 is expected in the coming weeks. Some of the fixes appear to be with audio level issues. I wonder if this would have a bearing on the white noise / punch on the fly issue? Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: