macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Jehubyi
    Clipping
    Hello everyone. Is it ok if the Output Channel Strip clips at 0.0dB? Throughout the duration of my song, the Output Channel Strip remains RED but it doesn't excede 0.0dB. Is that ok? Thanks. Jodie
  • Cajypiu
    Re: Clipping
    Technically speaking, instrument channels are fine if they show they are clipping, the output channel however shouldn't be allowed to. You might not be able to hear the difference if the meter is reading 0.0 so it is only just going over but if in doubt, stick a limiter on it and dial it to make sure if still sounds good. After that, if it sounds right it is right :)
  • Jehubyi
    Hi YADJ:) How ya doin? Thanks for the information. Yeah, I know Olav Basoski says clipping instrument channels is ok, but why is the Output channel strip turning RED, indicating clipping, if it is at 0.0dB? 0.0dB isn't clipping, right? I'll check out the limiter and dial it like you said. Thanks for your help. Jodie
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Jodie, I'm good tar. Spending far too much time on the internet but you know, better than eating a food mountain in front of the TV! You having a good night/ morning? What I reckon is going on is that your output level would read 0.02 or something like that, and your fader would display that if it had more than one decimal place that's all. At the end of the day, meters are just that, a visual aid to help you with your duties. The output channel is one you just have to pay a bit of attention to but that's not to say the meter is always going to be right. Verify it with another meter. A really good free one is inspector by Roger Nichols, http://www.rndigital.org/inspector.html. There is a manual there which gives you a bit of gumf to read on levels too if that helps. The ultimate decision, of course, will always come from the wingnuts on your head :)
  • AbbeyRhodes
    YADJ is right, the little number is most likely rounding down, but you're still getting as much as 0.04999 dB of clipping. It could be affected by your master output limiter not having a fast enough attack time or too short a look ahead value so it's missing certain large transient peaks in the output.
  • Jehubyi
    Hi again YADJ. Thanks for the info. I just brought down the Output Channel's compressor gain and that sort of did the trick. Can you tell me what is the difference b/w the compressor and the limiter? Thanks. Jodie p.s. It's evening here in Kyoto, Japan:) The typhoon season is coming, usually for the month of June, and it is pouring like freakin crazy right now! DOH!
  • Jehubyi
    Hi Fusilli:) How ya doin? Nice to meet you. Thanks for the information. I'm still not sure as to WHY the red light keeps coming on if the dB reading is at 0.0? Isn't 0.0dB NOT clipping? Thanks. Jodie
  • Christian L
    [quote:44659]Hi Fusilli:) How ya doin? Nice to meet you. Thanks for the information. I'm still not sure as to WHY the red light keeps coming on if the dB reading is at 0.0? Isn't 0.0dB NOT clipping? Thanks. Jodie [/quote] Hi Riftmazefee! 0.0 dB is not clipping, but 0.01 dB is clipping. Logic's meter doesn't display enough decimals. If you are using a more precise Channel Strip, you will see that the output is actually clipping. For example, check out the free Sonalksis FreeG : [url]http://www.sonalksis.com/index.php?section_id=99[/url] Insert it on the insert of your Output and click on the "L Peak R" section of the FreeG plugin to see how much the signal is clipping. Christian
  • Jehubyi
    Heh Christian:) How ya doin? Thanks for the information. I'm not sure what you mean, "For example, check out the free Sonalksis FreeG : http://www.sonalksis.com/index.php?section_id=99 Insert it on the insert of your Output and click on the "L Peak R" section of the FreeG plugin to see how much the signal is clipping. " I don't understand what you mean when you say, INSERT IT ON THE INSERT OF YOUR OUTPUT
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Jodie, OK, now I'm starting to picture what you're up to. Rather than explain what the difference between a compressor and a limiter is, it might be easier to explain what they are commonly used for. A compressor can be used to volume adjust, either up or down, all of the audio being processed, the fast transients of a sound (snare drum snap, punchy sounds in vocals) or the tail of a sound. It is also commonly used to squash sounds in that it enables you to raise the overall volume of a sound because it is more dense. A limiter is mainly designed to stop peak transient sounds going over a set threshold. Otherwise known as a brick wall.... i.e. in your case, it would be used to stop it from clipping. If you use high ratios on a compressor you are effectively turning it in to a limiter. Do you understand/ have you played around with the threshold, attack, release and ration settings on the compressor? Do you understand what they do?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: