macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Clipping
    Hey Jodie! How are you? [quote:44659]I don't understand what you mean when you say, INSERT IT ON THE INSERT OF YOUR OUTPUT[/quote] What Christian means is to insert the plug-in effect (just like you would any other plug-in like the reverb or delay) onto the Output 1-2 track. On a channel strip of a track, the 5 little empty rectangles at the top are called [i]Inserts[/i] - clicking on an Insert displays the drop down menu where you can select plug-in effects in Logic and further down the menu you have access to 3rd party plug-ins installed on your system. Cheers Rounik
  • Jehubyi
    Hi again YADJ:) Thanks for the info again:) Yeah, I sort of have an understanding of how the compressor works but am still trying to figure it out. I guess I'll just keep playing around with it and reading up on the manual and my MacProVideo DVD tutorials:) And I'll keep bugging you:) hahahahaha:) Thanks again. Jodie
  • Jehubyi
    Heh Rounik. What's up? Yeah, I understand the inserts and all that, but I don't understand HOW am I supposed to get that into the Output 1-2 insert? When I download that, will it then be available in the Output 1-2 insert slot? Thanks man:) Jodie
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Jodie, Yes, once you've installed the plug-in it will be available to any track, including the Output 1-2. You could, if you wish, insert it on an Aux track or soft inst. or audio track too. Either open the Mixer and insert it on the Output 1-2 or in the Inspector, the channel strip on the right will be the Output 1-2 by default. Cheers, Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Jodie, that's the way it should be! I've learnt shed loads on here and has always been a good place to start. Just try and remember to use your ears. Meters are a useful tool and should be the initial guide, but ultimately I think it's always best to judge the end result on how it sounds. People will listen to your stuff not watch it on a graphic equalizer... although even then I'm sure there are some... 95 percentile and all that! As for the output thing, have you opened up the mixer window as Rounik mentioned (windows menu and mixer) because in there is your master output bus. I take it you know that because you said that's the channel that's clipping. What you bounce down is whatever comes out of the output channel set to default out of your stereo 1-2 output. That's where you want to put the sonalkiss level meter or Logic's own under the helper plugin section I think. If you use Logic's level meter opt to show rms and peak volumes and that will give you a guide at what levels you are outputting at. Remember though it has to be the most final down in the insert list as possible, if you have other plug ins in your output... that compressor you are using for one. Keep us up to speed if you need any more help :)
  • Christian L
    [quote:3745] That's where you want to put the sonalkiss level meter or Logic's own under the helper plugin section I think. If you use Logic's level meter opt to show rms and peak volumes and that will give you a guide at what levels you are outputting at. :)[/quote] Hi, I was trying to explain why the Output Channel can clip at 0.0 dB. That's because Logic's meter (including the Level Meter plugin) can't display more than one decimal. The signal may clip at 0.02 dB, but Logic's output meter will still round it down at 0.0 dB in red. The Sonalksis plugin is more precise than Logic's own meter and that's why I suggested it. But the bottom line is... when the output meter turns RED, it is actually clipping, even at 0.0dB. :-) Christian
  • Jehubyi
    Hi again YADJ. Thanks so much for being patient with me:) I'll play around with Sonalksis now. Thanks again. Jodie
  • Jehubyi
    Arigato Gozaimasu Rounik:)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: