macProVideo.com
Forums
  • kcb
    Logic Vs Ableton
    I've been using Logic since for years, I love the SW, and all its upgrades keep getting better and better. However a couple of weeks ago a young, inexperienced producer played me an electro track he made, which sounded amazing, The kicks thumped and the bass had a natural organic sub that blew me away... I asked if he was using Logic, he answered '"no i cant afford it .. Im using ableton". Price issues aside, we all know it halved in price and stole characteristics from other sw.. watch Logic triple in price once apple corner the market & fruity loop users. Anyhow, I did a comparison test, raw samples and loops, the usual suspects for an electro beat..and it kills me to admit my Ableton bounce sounded a whole lot better than Logic. No processing, the same files in both sws. Has anyone notice the same? Logic sounded slightly thinner and a shimmer over it, as if there was a slight compressor giving the whole bounce (real time) a little polish And the kick sounded a little thinner and plasticy...Slightly annoying for me personally. Can anyone offer input about this... thoughts, mainly dance music. Any similar experiences? Mac Pro / 003 / Mackie HR8s :)
  • AbbeyRhodes
    Re: Logic Vs Ableton
    I have experience with both programs, i don't own Ableton, but i'm in an electronica trio and my bandmate uses it when we go live, so here's my take. Ableton does some pretty cool stuff, but having run the two programs side by side on stage for several months now, if i had to pick one i'd still easily take Logic. The thing about Ableton is it is very easy to use, and some of the really cool effects are immediately available and very easy to use as inserts. You don't necessarily get these sorts of effects in Logic (i'm talking mostly about the stutter and granular effects which are huge in electronica). If you want this stuff in Logic you really have to either do it manually or get a third party plug. If you're going from Logic to Ableton as your main DAW, then you're taking a step backward and you'll realise it as soon as you get started. However if you were to get Ableton to make use of some of its effects via Rewire, then i'd say that's the best way to go. If you want it just for loops and beats though, i'd recommend getting Stylus RMX Xpanded over Ableton. The time stretching functions are MUCH better (Ableton's are actually a little disappointing imo.) Stylus RMX is pretty much the best, and nearly every professional composer or producer i know and respect uses it.
  • kcb
    I too agree that Ableton is a step back from logic, especially in music programming, Logic is in a class of its own. Maybe i was not clear in my post :) Curious to know if anyone noticed the Logic Bounce always sounds a little compressed with a little bottom end removed. The Ableton bounce is a lot clear with space between patches too (Raw). Because I make dance music, I need that natural bottom end. Did some research, Deadmau5 also writes his stuff in Ableton.. so im thinking it cant be half bad. But of course he uses hard ware too so the SW is more the session arrangment.. but any who.... there are you tube vids of him programming at tommy lee's house in ableton :) do you have a myspace fusilli?
  • AbbeyRhodes
    Hi kcb, I don't have a myspace page for my own stuff, i've been meaning to get one up (for probably a few years now!) but honestly i just never get around to it. However i just joined an electronica/jazz trio about 3 months ago thats going strong and most of my work goes into this project now. We set up 2 pages, they're the same but different songs on each. www.myspace.com/anikiko www.myspace.com/kikoani Some of these track sound very raw, and about half are actually from before i joined, but you get the idea. Let me know what you think!
  • Jesop
    i think the general wisdom on these matters is that ableton doesnt stand up to logic/pro tools when it somes to the over all sound. This has been reported by many users and even defended by ableton themselves!...i think version 7 tries to address some of these issues. Its largely to do with things like warping and other 'behind the scenes' stuff in ableton which make it a lot easier to do things, but compromises some of the sound...not sure if this helps as its the opposite to your experience but anyway...! :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: