macProVideo.com
Forums
  • AbbeyRhodes
    Fluqe Onstage
    I have a little tip for anyone who, like me is using Logic in live situations. I just started using the program called Fluqe Onstage. Its a little add on application that runs in parallel with Logic that allows you to really quickly switch projects using a program change message from your midi controller. This allows me to change the synth and effects allocated to my guitar, keyboard and trigger pads with just the program change button on my keyboard. Extremely convenient and the full version only costs $30! Make a project for each song and put them in order in the setlist. Also if you had any doubts, this little app is used by Muse, The Chemical Brothers, Snow Patrol, Bjork and a whole heap of other artists in their live shows. I'll be using it for the first time live this saturday night. Check it out. http://www.fluqe.com/
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Fluqe Onstage
    Hi Fusilli, Thanks for sharing that! I've heard good things about OnStage. Could you post this in the gear sub forum section too...? Cheers Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi AbbeyRhodes, So I'm interested in your experience using OnStage a year later... Do you prefer using it over Mainstage? Cheers Rounik
  • mtec
    Hi, we have used on-stage in our last round of gigs and its gr8 , just works and its gr8 to be able to change the set list around. just remember what order u have set up for ur songs and what prg no u have asigned. we have 2 macbook pros linked via ethernet both running L8 soon to b 9, both running onstage. have fun, have a gr8 gig. mtec www.myspace.com/blackwhitefuture www.rotaryheadrecords.com/blackwhite
  • AbbeyRhodes
    Hi Rounik, I actually used it for quite a while on a run of gigs, but haven't used it now for a few months after starting up a new project. Experiences with it were very positive though. Never once experienced a crash, although I did have one little disaster, but it was entirely caused by Logic as opposed to anything Onstage would have done. (core audio overload, right in the middle of a song, and then didn't OK the dialog box and it didn't load the new song...) It's just a great program, Logic issues aside. Muse use it, and I love those guys!
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks mtec & Abbey, Out of interest, what made both of you decide to use Logic rather than Mainstage? Were you in need of a sequencer? etc? Would love to hear your opinions, e.g. I used Mainstage but preferred Logic and Fluqe because... (I'm working with a client... and stability is a massive issue when they begin their international tour.) All responses much appreciated! Rounik
  • mtec
    used logic as we had some seq parts running also,im not sure about mainstage's cpu at the mo it does seem a little bit juicy in that dept. Might try it with MS2 but logic and onstage seems to work gr8 mtec
  • AbbeyRhodes
    I tried Mainstage out at rehearsals and at home but one thing that had be concerned was that it seemed to run my CPU quite hot, possibly because of the graphic interface. It would cause my CPU fan to turn on up to full speed just by opening he program. There was no way i'd take it on stage for this reason alone because as you said stability is of utmost importance, even if it requires a little more effort. I didn't want a CPU overload caused by a nice looking GUI to be the cause, regardless of whether it would happen or not. I was most often using sequenced parts in addition to midi synths, vocoder and had a split from my guitar going to Logic so I could use some wacky effects from it. I use Orange Vocoder too and really warms up my CPU so i would load it into its own project. Onstage just facilitated the change from one project to another very easily. I should mention that i'm using a white macbook 2.2, so if you have access to a new macbook pro or better, mainstage could be a possibility. I know Silverchair used mainstage on their last tour.
  • Rounik Admin
    This is all very useful guys. Thanks! I've been using mainstage 1 for over a year and testing it under different loads and it did initially feel less CPU efficient to me than Logic. However, for my clients band it might just do the job better than Logic. Plus, it's a lot easier to learn and troubleshoot for their engineer when they're on tour. Mainstage has always been GPU hungry too. I've advised clients in the past to use MacBook Pro's and not Macbooks which don't have a dedicated graphics processor... But now I'm exploring Mainstage 2, I'm very excited with what can be achieved. With the 'Playback' and 'Loopback" functions you can create very intricate Live setups which can playback pre-recorded tracks, move between markers in the tracks, cycle them & trigger other sounds and instruments too! ... we're back to stability again. I'm gonna need to test, test, re-test and then test again for this job. Very cool to know SilverChair use Mainstage (and NIN of course). Would be interesting to speak with their respective engineers... :) Rounik
  • AbbeyRhodes
    Yep i think the main issue i've had with mainstage is with my macbook not having the dedicated GPU to handle the graphical interface. With a macbook pro i'm guessing it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Mainstage 2 might have some performance improvements though. I think the Onstage/Logic combo might be better if the operator is actually an experienced Logic user to begin with as it then offers the benefit of a familiar environment. But in your situation Mainstage 2 might be the way to go. I haven't done the upgrade yet, was waiting for snow leopard, (which incidentally comes out today) and doing a big mass upgrade in one go.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: