macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Fluqe Onstage
    Thanks! I am loving the features in Mainstage 2, but haven't found any significant performance improvements yet. In fact I'm finding MS 2 to be a little more CPU sapping than 1 on a couple of projects. But, I have a feeling with a stable version of Snow Leopard and an update to MS2, this will be an amazing setup. For the time being we're sticking with MS 1 for this project. I have to admit because I'm so content in Logic (especially with the Environment too) I'm more than happy to use Logic live, but definitely my client appreciates the look and feel of Mainstage 1 and it's ease of use and setup. It's early days so we have some time to decide on the best route and I think starting out with MS 1 will allow us to jump to MS 2 whenever we need/want :) Got to be careful with the macbookpro's now. Not all of them have a dedicated GPU! The 13" doesn't and one of the 15" models uses the integrated version. So, you're getting Snow Leopard and Logic 9 on the same day! Hope it all goes smoothly. I'm waiting on Snow leopard for a little while. I have a good feeling about it but Logic 9 is working so smoothly for me on 10.5.7 I'm going to resist the upgrade for now... Apparently Logic 9 isn't yet optimised to run as a 64bit App yet... and I suspect we'll need 3rd party plugins to be written in 64bit mode for them to work in a 64bit Logic. The idea of a future version of Logic/Mainstage being able to access more than 4GB of Ram is exciting!
  • mtec
    Also we will need to wait till 4gb ram chips fall in price as at the mo they r way out of my league. Rounik have u any idea of the prg Steve H uses to magnify the screen in certain areas of his tutorials usually has an orange cirlcle.
  • Rounik Admin
    indeedy! A single 4GB kit at crucial is more than half way to buying an entry level macbookPro! The circle and magnification is all part of the screen capturing software used by Steve H I believe. This effect can be created in Final Cut also. I tend to use Pinpoint (about $5) for a circle around the mouse and zoom controls built-in to OSX to magnify around the mouse area. Not as slick as Steve H's way, but pretty nice and easy to use in a classroom environment. :) Rounik
  • mtec
    yeah i use pinpoint and mouse posse but i thought Steve H method looked groovy. cheers 4 getting back to me. mtec
  • Rounik Admin
    Yeah, it is groovy... but AFAIK it's not a realtime thing - just restricted to post production :) Rounik
  • AbbeyRhodes
    Hey mtec, Just thought i should mention - I got a 4GB RAM upgrade for my macbook from OWC. You just remove the battery and install it yourself, saving yourself a considerable amount of money. Get the 2 x 2GB modules, it's a very inexpensive solution and works a charm. I actually upgraded my HD from here as well. I basically just bought the standard macbook at the time and upgraded to top spec myself. I checked with Apple and this doesn't void the warranty, as the HD and RAM are regarded as user serviceable parts. [url]http://www.macsales.com/[/url] Great service and shipping to Sydney was incredibly fast.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi AbbeyRhodes, Funny - I was just checking out OWC yesterday and comparing it to Crucial.com (which I've used here in the UK). Prices at OWC are a little cheaper. mtec was referring to a single 4GB chip of ram I think. The new mb and mbp's can take upto 8GB of ram. However, check out the prices for a single 4GB module! Shocking 8-0 2x4GB modules are, however, more cost effective through OWC than Crucial (UK) which in turn are more cost effective than buying from Apple Direct! :) Rounik
  • mtec
    Thanks, i already upgraded the ram to to 4gb and the HDD to a 320gb 7200rpm drive. i mentioned to Rounik the mega price for 4gb chips so i could max out my MBPro to 8gb. The price is ridiculous at the mo. mtec
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: