macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Sybuvuu
    Gradually Changing Tempo With Audio Files
    Hey all! Wanted to say how much I loved TNT 1 and already have TNT 2 on pre-order! I have an idea for a future TNT that I don't think I saw covered anywhere else before. I have a project that has audio tracks in it as well as instrument tracks. I am trying to set up a way that allows the tempo to gradually change over time. For example, the song will start out at say 120 BPM and end with say 71 BPM. I figured out how to do this with MIDI/software instrument tracks, but I never can seem to get it to work with the audio ones (or mixed audio and MIDI/software tracks). It may be very elementary, but I have yet to figure it out. Thanks! Michael.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Gradually Changing Tempo With Audio Files
    Hi Michael, Welcome to the forums! To change tempo over time you can use the global tracks tempo feature - draw in nodes and even draw in tempo changes with smooth curves etc. MIDI regions follow tempo changes automatically. A standard audio file does not. However, Apple Loops do follow tempo changes and audio recorded in Logic has an option (in the parameters area in the Inspector) to follow tempo. Check out sections 4,5 and 8 of Logic 101: Core Logic 8: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/Logic8101[/url] Or if you have any more questions about Global tracks, feel free to ask. The thing about audio changing tempo over time is, depending on the audio material, big changes in tempo don't sound good! Cheers Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Michael, Rounik's point about radical tempo changes not sounding good is spot on. Tempo adjustments under 8% of the original tempo can be passed off, but trying to get 120 to 71bpm is a bit unrealistic. That said, if you have sold yourself on the idea the best results I have heard have come from CDJs as their pitch shifting and tempo locks are pretty amazing with minimal artifacts. Another good alternative would be something like Serato Scratch Live because you can do turntable stop starts too then.... although there is a plug in out there that imitates that specific effect which name escapes me right now but google it. Hope that helps.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Yadj, I've never used it - but what's your opinion on Melodyne - would that be suitable? Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Kia Ora Rounik, I've not used Meoldyne myself either actually, but a mate of mine has it and I've been in on a few sessions when they've mucked around with it. The coolest thing I heard was when they were playing with the formants on an electric bass. Turned it in to a woody double bass at the drop of a hat, very cool indeed! As for pitch shifting in this manner. Still not sure. I think it is very capable of realistic results in a retuning/ pitching/ sound shaping kind of way but as for gradual tempo changing on a polyphonic source... I'm not so sure. Like you said though, you could get round it using rex files (similar to what Melodyne does), or turning your audio to MIDI through the use of samplers that way, but it depends on what sounds are being used, and what end result is required??
  • Christian L
    You could also try to time stretch with Ableton Live. It works pretty well for gradual tempo changes and it's very simple to do. I got good results using the complex algorithm on whole songs. A drop from 120 to 71 BPM is pretty extreme though... you would need to try it and hear for yourself. Christian
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: