macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Logic Ninja
    vocals
    hi i have a general question towards recording vocals. My vocals sound worse when i record them. I know its probably because I'm using a cheap audio interface (firebox) and a very cheap condenser mic (Nady Rsm 5). what i wanted to know was, If I invest in a more expensive condenser mic for my vocals, will it make a big difference? any suggestions will be helpful. Abhi
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: vocals
    Hi Abhi, The firebox should be ok - I've recorded some nice sounding vocals using it... I think the microphone might need upgrading - but i've never heard of it before. Other factors (really really important): the acoustics of the room you are recording in! When you say your vocals sound worse... what do you mean??? In what way??? Rounik
  • Logic Ninja
    They sound a bit plane and a little fuzzy. People who listened to my recording said that i sound better live. Currently I'm just recording in my bedroom which is kind of crouded. What kind a room would be suitable for recording? I mean does it have to be kind of empty. Thanks. Abhi
  • Rounik Admin
    Often a room with little reflection is better. Have you tried adding EQ effects and reverb to your voice? There's a reason why the best mic's cost alot of money (!) but you can get quite good budget mic's for a few hundred dollars. It's worth doing some research into different mics by companies like Rode, Seinheiser etc... Cheers Rounik
  • Logic Ninja
    i did add some eq and reverb effects, which made the voice a little better, but not exactly what i wanted. I will go do some search on some decent mics. Thanks for your help! Abhi
  • AbbeyRhodes
    I've used many different mics in various studios, but for some reason (maybe it's just my voice) it always sounds really good through an SM57. Its a classic mic and you absolutely cannot go wrong by getting one, since it's pretty much the popular standard for recording anything from drums to guitars to brass. For some reason the 57 sounds great, even noticably better than the SM58 (the model that's actually intended for vocals!). The only mic i've used that i thought sounded better on my voice was my friend's Neumann U87, and given the price of that beast, i'd be massively disappointed if it didn't sound better! So my advice, see if you can try a 57 and see if you like the sound of it. I guess i just got lucky and my voice matches perfectly with a inexpensive mic. Nearly everyone who records anything will have one.
  • Logic Ninja
    Thanks a lot, for the suggestion fusilli. I'll check it out! Thanks again, Abhi
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Abhi, when you recorded yourself how did you set up your gear? Did you do the old blanket/ duvet in the corner of the room trick? Any damping at all? Did you use a pop shield? I take it you're recording in the same room as your computer? Are you picking up a lot of background noise? Are you heavily compressing? When you EQ'd your recordings what did you boost/ cut? If it sounds lifeless there's a high probability that it's overly bassy, so you might want to cut your low mid frequencies (200-800Hz ish) and boost higher up... say 3.5kHz and maybe some air 10K+. Maybe post up a recording so we can all have a listen?
  • Logic Ninja
    Hey Yadj, I basically connected a NADY RSM 5 mic with a pop filter to my firebox which was connected to a macbook. I didn't use any damping in the recording process and i did notice that there was a lot of background noise. I cut highpass filter during EQing and boosted the mid frequencies and a bit of lowpass filter. Thanks, Abhi
  • Cajypiu
    HI Abhi, OK, I just realised that your microphone is a ribbon mic.... nice, but because of the figure of 8 polar pattern, you might want to take note of your mic placement to make better recordings rather than rely on software make-up tools like EQ. You might need quite a bit of gain as the voltage generated on those things is quite low which will raise the noise floor of your recordings too unless you have really top notch clean mic preamps. Putting both high and low pass filters on your records might well get rid of some of the noise but they will suck the life out of your voice too if not careful. What I reckon you should do is line a corner in your room with a duvet to try and stop reflections, and make sure that the null if the figure of eight, the insensitive bits, point towards any noise in your room (power supplies/ computer fans etc), the sensitive rear side can face the duvet and other sensitive side can be what you sing in to. Your mic can take pretty loud volumes so don't be afraid of getting pretty close unless it sounds crap. If you use a pop shield, have it around 4 -8 inches away from your mic surface. If you sing loudly and belt it at any parts of your song, angle your mouth away from the front face to stop any pops and excessive mouth noise getting picked up. The closer you can be to the mic the louder you will appear therefore the less preamp gain you will have to use which will in turn make the mic less sensitive to other stuff going on in the room. Make sense?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: