macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Logic Ninja
    Re: vocals
    Hey YADJ, thanks for explaining the whole problem in great detail. It makes perfect sense and it was really easy to understand. I'll use the duvet trick on of the corners in my room and try to reduce the reverb. Also, thanks for all the recording tips. Thanks a lot for your help! Abhi
  • Logic Pro & Logic Express
    This problem is probably the mic or your mic technique. You say your vocals sound fuzzy, it's a good bet that you're overloading the mic when you record. If you're micing straight into your firebox you might want to consider getting a small mixer for your mic and run the mixer into the firebox and adjust your gain appropriately. Be sure to record about twelve or so inches away from the mic to keep from overloading it during the screaming vocals. I use a cheap Harmony Audio firewire box for my audio and a old Behringer U802 mixer for mics and guitars, and both vocals and guitars sound great. The mixer gives you greater control of the sound input and will help you to prevent overloading the sound. If you're so inclined, you can even adjust EQ with the mixer and roll off some of the mic's bass, etc. You also might consider getting a different mic. The Nady is a ribbon mic and they can be very sensitive to distortion. A good condenser or even a dynamic mic might suit you better. You can pick up decent condensers for very little money these days. You might check into the Studio Projects line. Be be aware that condensers pick up A LOT of sound, so if your room is noisy, or for that matter, if your neighborhood is noisy, chances are pretty good the condenser will pick it up. Computer noise alone can kill a good vocal recording. My solution to the problem is two-fold: 1) I use a dynamic mic. My mic is a Heil PR-30, which is a really terrific dynamic most often used in radio work. It does a great job of keeping unwanted noise out; 2) Once my vocals are recorded, I make sure to add a noise gate in logic, or sometimes even trim the vocal events to cut out unwanted noise. Thanks to the PR-30, however, there's usually very little of it. Logic also has some GREAT vocal presets that you can add to the track. Honestly, the best vocals I've ever recorded were recorded in Logic. I've used just about every DAW you can name and Logic beats them all. Hope this helps.
  • Logic Ninja
    Thanks for the suggestions, they helped a lot. I'll look into the UB802 mixer, it seems pretty good for the price. It would certainly help a lot, if i'm able to control the voice input, into the mic. I think I'm gonna give one of the dynamic mics a try as well. Thanks for the help! Abhi
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:29167]I think I'm gonna give one of the dynamic mics a try as well. [/quote] The rode NT1A and Rode NT2 are reasonably priced, nice dynamic vocal mics. Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    [quote:7638][quote:29167]I think I'm gonna give one of the dynamic mics a try as well. [/quote] The rode NT1A and Rode NT2 are reasonably priced, nice dynamic vocal mics. Rounik[/quote] They're condenser mics aren't they? Good mics all the same though. Mixers are handy too as they can be used as a master controller for your speakers etc... but I would just say that I would errr on the side of caution when introducing another link in your signal chain especially when you already have enough noise by the sounds of it.
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:3745] They're condenser mics aren't they? Good mics all the same though.[/quote] Yes! Exactly..... ;-) Completely misread that one then! Oops :-!
  • Cajypiu
    :0)
  • Logic Pro & Logic Express
    My UB802 mixer adds little, if any, noise to the chain. Mixers are a common and extremely useful interface in recording and actually help control the noise. If you buy an old mixer with crappy preamps, yes, that could be a problem, but the 802's preamps are pretty good for the price. Oh, and good mics are not all the same. Condensers and dynamics have a different sound to them and mic choice often depends on what sounds good with your vocalist's voice. Different voices sound better on different mics. It never hurts to have a variety of mics at your disposal.
  • Logic Ninja
    I think i might go with a SM57, it seems like a really nice dynamic mike. At least a lot of people seem to think so. Thanks a lot for the help! Abhi
  • Rounik Admin
    Great! Let us know how you get on with the SM57. Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: