macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Jehubyi
    Adaptive Limiter vs. Limiter
    Hello again everyone:) How ya doin? Well, could someone explain to me what is the main difference between the ADAPTIVE LIMITER and LIMITER? Thanks as always. Jodie p.s. Oh yeah one more thing: Does anyone have any suggestions for a good audio interface? I'm currently using a M-Audio PreMobileUSB, and it's ok but not great, and I want to upgrade severely! My friend has an Edirol FA-101, but he says I should get something better than that. Any suggestions? Thanks again. Jodie
  • Cajypiu
    Re: Adaptive Limiter vs. Limiter
    Hi Jodie, the main difference as far as I'm aware is that the adaptive limiter has a lookahead feature. If you set it to 'lookahead' you're actually telling the limiter to buffer some of the audio you are limiting in order for the compression to work more accurately. It responds to short peaks in audio better and that kind of stuff. The limiter is set in what it sees... You want to start reading up on plugin delay compensation (PDC) if you're going to start using them on channels other than the output. Nothing scary just a tick box. I would recommend setting it to all to begin with if it isn't already. As for the audio interface, what improvements do you seek? What's your budget? Preamps? How many etc...
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Jodie & Yadj, Actually both the adaptive limiter and limiter have a look ahead function... so both will add latency if used when recording (so use it when mastering! on the output channel). From my understanding, the ad limiter allows you to set the input scale, whereas the limiter doesn't. The lookahead of the ad limiter is also much longer and it has two different modes to help limit the sound - no over is best if you definitely don't want to exceed 0dB. BTW, when using the ad limiter make sure you set the out ceiling at -0.1 otherwise it may clip! As Yadj says, budget and need are very important when considering an audio interface. How many instruments are you looking to record simultaneously and do you need portability? I've just got an apogee duet, which is very sweet - two inputs, two outputs, integrated into Logic, looks great - and from my basic tests so far the preamps are very nice! Cheers Rounik
  • Jehubyi
    Hi Yadj. How ya doin? Thanks for the information:) I understand what you said:) I don't use the adaptive limiter or limiter on any channels but the output channel, right now. I guess I'll just fool around with them on the other channels. Thanks. As far as the audio interface question; I just want something that is portable, affordable, and can record a standard sized drum kit in the studio (kick/snare/hi-hat/toms/floor tom/ride/overheads). Thanks again. Jodie
  • Jehubyi
    Heh Rounik. What's up? Thanks for your advice too. I'll play around with both the adaptive limiter and limiter. For the audio interface, I'm looking for something portable, affordable, and with enough outputs for a standard sized drum kit. Maybe the Edirol FA-101 is good enough for now. They're going for about $500 US right now here in Japan. I'll check out your interface as well. Any other suggestions? Thanks man. Jodie
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Guys, you know, as soon as I posted that I thought that the limiter might have a lookahead feature and I wasn't near logic to double check! As for the recording interface, portable, affordable and record a drum kit. Hummm... what is one person's small change is another persons fortune! I second Rounik's Duet choice as I got one a few months ago. I had a MOTU828 before that and the clairity is leagues apart. Both of those examples only have 2 preamps though. You can mic drums in lots of different ways, some people just using one mic, but 3 is your average number. You could look at getting an interface that is small, portable and affordable but has an expandable option to add more mic preamps in to it if needed? How often will you record drums?
  • mtec
    Hi, i would recommend the Apogee Duet for an audio interface(if u only need stereo in & out) i have recently set one up in Logic studio for a friend and i was highly impressed, really easy to set up and a fantastic sound also with the added bonus that it integrates with Logic seamlessly .
  • Rounik Admin
    H mtec, Yes, the Duet is very impressive indeed in terms of sound quality and integration wth Logic. Would love Apogee to introduce a 4 in/out with the same quality converters and preamps...a Quadret.. ;)
  • Rounik Admin
    Jodie, Aside from the Apogee Duet, I would recommend the Presonus Firebox - however, if you're using it with a macbook pro, be warned that it will not work bus powered from firewire without the power supply being plugged in first. The preamps are pretty good - plenty of inputs and outputs and reasonable price too. I might be selling mine actually - since I got the duet recently :-) Cheers Rounik
  • mtec
    Hi Rounik, i think the Duet is a great bit of kit and after seeing it in action i want one. Jodie, if u do not want to spend alot of cash then also check out the focusrite saffire le, lots of inputs and outs good quality and not to expensive. i use one with my macbook, i use the yamaha 01x with my desktop machine.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: