macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Jehubyi
    Re: Adaptive Limiter vs. Limiter
    Hi mtec:) How ya doin? Nice to meet you:) Thanks for the audio interface info.:) Man o man I feel so GREEN when I listen to you guys talk about stuff:( Guess it just comes with experience:) Thanks again. Jodie
  • Jehubyi
    Hi again Rounik. OK. Sounds like the Apogee Duet is a good one:) I'll jump on google now and do a search:) Domo arigato Mr. Robotto, domo domo / domo domo:)
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:44659] Domo arigato Mr. Robotto, domo domo / domo domo:) [/quote] ?? Must be Japanese humour...right ;-)
  • Christian L
    [quote:44659]Hi again Rounik. OK. Sounds like the Apogee Duet is a good one:) [/quote] Don't forget that the Duet is only 2 channels. You will need more inputs if you want to record drums...
  • AbbeyRhodes
    Another vote for the apogee duet. If you're upgrading, its not worth just going up one step, because then you'll just need to upgrade again eventually. The Duet will give you the best sound quality in a compact 2 channel unit. I'd buy one, but i'm going to enter that Olav contest first... haha.
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Jodie, don't worry about feeling green, blue, bile... or any other colour for that matter, there is so much to know about lots of things, but as far as I see it, as long as you keep the integrity of your ideas as first and foremost, the rest of it is just working backwards to achieve the results you want. The duet is good, but for two channels it is expensive compared to other boxes such as the Saffire as someone has mentioned, Presonus FIrebox, M-Audio 410 (although I personally have had issues with reliability with the M-Audio stuff). The duet is more expensive for a good reason, Apogee make some of the best converters out there but the point of buying what you can afford now instead of having to replace it at a latter date is also valid. Even though the Duet is really good, it might not be suitable for you because you might want to expand on it with more channels and there's not an easy way of doing it unless you create an aggregate sound device from your system preferences which is fine, but it's more technical than you need to be. OK, here are some questions. 1. What will be your most typical recording? Singing and guitar, just a voice? 2. Do you have a drum kit to record or is it a nice to have in the future? 3. Do you have decent rooms to record in to accomadate a drum kit? 4. Would you be able to use drum samples and just worry about recording the other instruments one at a time? 3. Do you have decent speakers to listen to everything through or are you using headphones? 4. Have you purchased any mics? 5. What else are you having to budget for? 6. What do you want to do with your recordings? Demo? Work? Hobby? Does that help or have I made it worse!?
  • Curobee
    Hey guys i've been reading the all thread and i'm just wondering if i can seek help in this one or start a new thread. I bought 2 months ago an apogee duet with the purpose of transferring my vinyls (analog) into digital with logic pro as software to convert them as mp3 with itunes and then finally use them with serato. I bought some xlr male cables to rca to connect it to my mixer which is an ttm 56 rane and also already preamp i suppose. On the maestro control i use for the line 1 and 2 "xlr line -10 dbv. What i noticed was that whenever i was recording my vinyl, my final output was extremely low compared to the original vinyl, almost like 2 levels less on the gain on my mixer. Than i called the apogee support and they told me to use the adaptive limiter as you guys just mentioned in logic. I read Rounik suggesting to have the out ceiling i think at -0.1, i don't know which one is correct but they guy told me to have it as -0.3 and to have the input scale at 0. I just hope someone can relate to my situation because it drives me crazy that i have to read the entire manual of logic to find out what is the problem lol. ps Your help will be greatly appreciated.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi King Solo, If the recording level is really low from the Record player I'd consider getting a decent Mixer or Pre Amp... which should boost the signal. Have you increased the input gain on the Duet? But in Logic there are a couple of things I will advise: 1. Record audio at 24bit: Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio 2. Sure, set the Adaptive Limiter to -0.3. The difference is marginal and not something I would lose sleep over for the requirements and intended uses of the audio files you mention. Both methods should prevent clipping which may result in a distorted sound (which is what you don't want ;) 3. You don't need to convert the audio file to mp3 in iTunes! When you have captured the audio. Use the File > Bounce function to export the file as wav, aiff, mp3, etc. 4. If you're quite new to Logic and don't want to take the time just yet to explore it's very expansive feature set then most important is to use your ears. If it sounds good to you (and the output signal is NOT clipping) then it should be good. Hope that helps, Rounik
  • Curobee
    Hi Rounik, Thanks for the quick prompt reply first of all. when i set the maestro control with line 1 and 2 at xlr-10 dbv, the knob don't work so the only way to increase the input signal is to turn up the volume of the channel mixer or the gain. I always thought that my mixer was preamp, and i also called rane and they confirmed. I did also tried to connect the duet to the amplifier or receiver that i use and still the signal was that same, so now i'm confused. I am afraid now to spend xtra money on a phono preamp to get the same result. Does anyone using the duet with a Rane Mixer ttm 56?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi King Solo, If you make sure you are recording the input at 24bit then you can use a Gain plugin and/or Adlimiter on the audio channel in Logic to boost the volume. Bounce the track and have a listen in the Finder or in Quicktime. Does it sound loud enough and clear enough? Strange that you cannot increase the gain on the Duet. Have you considered contacting Apogee Support. I found them t be quite prompt when I had an issue with my Duet some time ago. Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: