macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Braden
    EXS Sample Edits
    Hi; I imported some sound effects from a hardware sampler library. I have the EX inside/ out video, but either I missed this, or it wasn't very clear in the video.....anyway... Samples are mapped across the EX editor by default so when you play one key on your controller they all play at once. I tried shortening the zone" rectangle" so they only trigger on one key, but they all sound better around middle C....if you assign them to keys above/below that, the pitch change gets weird. Does anyone know how to set them up so just ONE will play at a time but across the whole keyboard ? Like there on separate channels ? thanks in advance
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: EXS Sample Edits
    Hi Braden, You need to create a single EXS instrument for each "sample" if you want to be able to trigger it with any key on your MIDI keyboard. Drag the sample on to the Instrument editor, drag it's rectangle so that it covers all the keys. In the Parameters section, select the zone containing the sample and scroll to the right. You should see a "pitch" checkbox. Un-tick this box, and the sample's will play at it's original pitch when it is triggered by any key. Cheers Rounik
  • Braden
    Hi Rounik: Yeah...I created a new instrument and zone for each sample. There are 20 samples and if I click on, say, middle c on the editor kybd /controller, all play at once. Also created a new instrument and zone for each sample when I brought it into EX. You mean the 'disable pitch' box in the zone edit box, right? They were already off /disabled so nothing changed....everything still plays at once.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Braden, Which version of Logic are you using? 7 or 8? I seem to have misunderstood that the problem is the samples are playing at different pitches?...ok. same as my post above re: all samples play at the same time! If you only want one sample to be triggered by all keys for one instrument, don't load multiple audio files into one EXS24 instrument. 1. Open EXS24 2. Click Edit. The Instrument Editor opens. 3. Click Zone > New Zone 4. Click on the arrow under :name: and select one audio file. 5. Adjust the length of the rectangle. 6. Click Instrument > Save as.. 7. Close the instrument when saved select Instrument > New... and repeat steps 2-6 to create a new instrument for each sample/audio file. Is this what you are doing? Cheers Rounik
  • Braden
    Hi Rounik: I'm using 7.1..... I've been following the steps you outlined, but its pretty time consuming, yes? So a few times I loaded multi samples thinking that would speed things up a bit.....which is the problem I think. I'm loading them one at a time and that's working . I'd like to organize these sound effects in the GUI the same way as the factory sounds....with sub-folders. i.e. Sound Effects [arrow] then the individual effects listed. How could I do that? thanks Braden
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Braden, I'm using 8.0.2 these days - so the process I described is pretty similar for 7.1. It is time consuming indeed. Have you heard of Redmatica? They have a number of products which are designed to make sampling etc with the EXS24 much much easier with may powerful features... [url]http://www.redmatica.com/Redmatica/Welcome_to_Redmatica.html[/url] To organise your sound exs24 instruments simply save as.. and create a folder, then save your sample instruments within the desired folder/sub-folder. You might want to check out the EXS24 tutorial too: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/exs24[/url] Let me know if you have any more questions. Cheers Rounik
  • Braden
    Hi Rounik: Yes, I did check Redmatica out briefly a year or 2 ago, but not in any great depth. I wasn't using EX too much at the time and probably didn't really get what Redmatica was.... So much software.....so little time ! But I'll definitely look at it again...and the link for the tutorial. Thanks for all your help though...much appreciated best Braden
  • Braden
    Me again...... I've been saving these sounds in a separate folder,as you said but some of them don't seem to show up in the new folder or when one is added, another disappears. Am I crazy or is that possible ? Some of them were previously saved to 'sampler insts.' and I move them over from there... thanks Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Braden, the instruments should be saved directly in Sampler Insts folder of in a sub-folder within it. Thanks :-) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: