macProVideo.com
Forums
  • JROD
    Guitar sample key chang
    I'm a novice experimenting with Midi samples of acoustic guitar strums. I'm constructing a tune and would like to make a chord change in the arrangement. I figured it out in Garageband but now we're using Logic Express. Say I'm in the key of C and want to add an F and a G chord to my progression. How do I add those chords without changing the entire key of the piece. Thanks for the assist -
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Guitar sample key chang
    Hi, click on the global tracks disclosure arrow. Select signature. Use the pencil tool to create a signature change. Select the Key you want from the drop down menu. Cheers Rounik
  • JROD
    Re: Guitar sample key change
    Goodmorning Rounik, Thanks for the reply but.... I'm not trying to change the key of the entire piece, I'm just trying to make a chord change in the guitar sample. I'm in the key of "C" and want to stay there. Say for example, after four bars I want the chord to change to an "F" and then to "G." I followed your instructions and see that I've changed the key of the piece but the original guitar sample is still on the tonic note ("C"). Maybe I should be looking in the MIDI editor. The guitar sample is MIDI. Again, my goal is not to change the key of the composition but to change the chord within the composition.
  • Rounik Admin
    Good evening (UK) ;-) OK. There are a few different ways to do this. if your guitar sample chord is in a separate region you can adjust the Transposition in the Inspector window... Easier and more visual: double click on the region with the chord you wanna transpose. The piano roll opens, select the notes you wish to change and drag them where you wish. Is that what you would like to do? Cheers Rounik
  • JROD
    Hi Rounik, Upon review I discovered that my sample was not a midi sample but an audio sample... I didn't get a piano role I got a wave form. Sorry for the confusion... Changing a strum from an audio to a midi seems unlikely. Maybe I better pull out the acoustic guitar and do it the old fashion way... But I think you've explained the steps so I'll look for a midi guitar strum again and see if I can do the transposition in the piano roll.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi, To transpose a piece of audio can be a little more tricky. If it's already an apple loop you can transpose the whole region up or down. However, there are ways to save a section of an audio file as a separate apple loop and then transpose just that section... but it's a bit more advanced and results will vary. Might be easier to play it on guitar until you become more proficient in Logic. Have you checked out the Logic 101: Core Logic 8 tutorial: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/Logic8101[/url] It is an extremely comprehensive tutorial that will get you up and running in Logic 8 very quickly. Cheers Rounik
  • Rupyriu
    No one has mentioned the Chord Track in the Global Tracks area of the Arrange Window. First choose Configure Global Tracks from the View Menu, and select the Chord Track. If you already have a midi track with the correct chords, you can select that track in the Arrange window, and then tap the Analyze button in the Chord Track area. All the other Apple Loops and midi in your arrangement will then automatically transpose to match those chords. You can also manually enter chords you want to use by moving the locator to the beat you want the chord written, and tap there, using the pencil tool. A menu of chords appears and you can choose one. This will also transpose any Apple Loop or midi file in your song.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: