macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Tulu
    Connectivity with Firewire 800
    Hi Rounik I tried according to your instruction to connect my RME with G5 and External hard drive but I cant see the hard drive. I connected like this - from Mac to RME and from RME to Hard drive with firewire 800 but it does not show the hard drive as well as the hard drive does not powered up. can you give me a solution? Thanks Tulu
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Connectivity with Firewire 800
    Hi Tulu, Can you remind me what mac you have please... If you have more than one firewire post on your mac then you can't connect the HD and RME on different ports. Does it work if you connect rme to HD with firewire 400? Have you tried restarting your mac to see if the HD starts up? What make is your HD? You can also try connecting MAC > HD > RME. See if that works out. Cheers Rounik
  • Tulu
    Hi I have G5 Power Mac. Firewire 400 works. If I go Mac > HD > RME, it works but if I go Mac > RME > HD, it does not work. I want Mac > RME > HD because I dont want to keep HD turned on always. Thanks Tulu
  • Christian L
    Hi Tulu, What hard drive are you using ? Does it have a power supply ? I don't think the Fireface can supply power over Firewire. Christian
  • Tulu
    Hi I am using Lacie D2 250g hard drive. Thanks
  • Christian L
    Did you try with the power supply ?
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Tulu, have you also tried plugging your hard drive in to the RME when your mac and sound card are already powered up?
  • Tulu
    Yes, I tried what you said but does not start the Hard Drive. Thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Tulu, That's strange as in theory it should work. When you plug your HD into one firewire port and the RME into another firewire port does it work ok? Have you tried using a firewire hub if the above is not possible and you are limited to one firewire port on your mac? Cheers Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Tulu, I've had a bit of hit and miss with firewire 800 drives myself. In theory you should be able to boot from any firewire drive but some do and some don't. The physical connection itself also appears to be a lot more sensitive than FW400 which adds to the problem(s). Rounik is right though, it should work. Have you tried it with another hard drive through the RME? Have you tried using the other firewire port on the RME to make sure it is working itself? Does the hard drive have it's own power supply and are you using it? Sorry if this question has been asked before, but there's only a few things it can be. Cheers, YADJ
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: