macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Tulu
    Re: Connectivity with Firewire 800
    Hi I have only one hard drive. I have tried 2 port of RME and it works. The HD has its own power supply and I used it while connecting Mac and RME. Thanks Tulu
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Tulu, Have you tried connecting the RME to one firewire port on your mac, and the HD to another firewire port on your mac? Have you tried using a Firewire hub connected to your mac and the rme and hd connected to it? Cheers Rounik
  • Tulu
    Hi Rounic I have only 1 firewire 800 port in my mac. Thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    OK. But do you have a firewire 400 port too? You ca use the firewire 400 for your rme or HD and the firewire 800 for the other. Cheers Rounik
  • Tulu
    Dear Rounik I have so many things hooked up in my 400 port and 800 is my last resourse for connecting the HD and RME. Thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    OK! What do you have hooked up to your firewire 400 port? If possible try a test: unhook everything from the 400 and then try daisychaining the rme and hd from the 800 and / or try using the rme on one and the hd from the other. This test may help us understand if it works at all and if the problem is having too many devices connected to your firewire ports. Cheers Rounik
  • Zihymua
    A little secret to help all Mac lover, i used a special hub the problem with a hub your computer cant see what is hookup to it, but this hub it is built with chips and the computer can read exactly what it is hookup to EX. my Maudio Firewire itis a 400 my hub it is 800 no problem it work with a 6 to 9 pins, the performance flawlessly i hook up my Canon XH1 HD with a wire 4 to 9 pins to the hub and with my Final Cut Pro i can still remote my Cam threw this hub, very hard to have it fast, me it took 6 months , almost forgot to give you the name NitroAV Professionnal Firewire 800 8-PORT HUB/REPEATER. A bit expensive about 3 times other Hub but at the end it end up all my Firewire problems PS When NitroAV it is hook, open About this computer you gonna see your Mac 800 Port, your NitroAV, and all what is hook up to it with their specific name not like other Hub after it is write Unkwon Device
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Tulu, can you confirm what other stuff you have connected to your FW ports? On one of your earlier posts you mentioned that you tried connecting the RME to the mac and then the hard drive to the RME, and then the other way round. One way worked, the other didn't. Was it just those devices you connected during this test? None of the other stuff? If you don't have a hub to try like Alrobi's, you can get a FW800 - FW400 adapter and that might give you a few more options. The question that's rattling around in my head is your hard drive is obviously passing on it's daisy chain duties alright because you said you can connect the RME no probs. The two main things that will stop daisy chaining taking effect is lack of power and lack of bandwidth. Is your RME powered by any chance or is power taken from the firewire port?
  • Tulu
    2 Firewire 400 port- 1 is connected with MiniDV Deck, Other is connected with apple cinema display. If I put any 400 hub, it does not work. RME is not powered by firewire port. What I want is - I want to connect from Mac to RME and from RME to HD using firewire 800 and with 2 firewire 400, I want to use one for display and other for a HUB from where I will connect MiniDV Deck, one CD Burner, One DVD Burner. If you have any suggestion for this connectivity, please help. Thanks Tulu
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Tulu, OK, that's a LOT of stuff to hang out of those ports, especially when both of those FW400 ports share the same buss. Couple of things stand out for me though. What computer did you say you had again, an iMac? Is the superdrive broken or something.. as in why do you have both an external CD burner and DVD burner? The DVD burner can burn CDs anyway, unless you've opted for a special brand that's good for ?? The other thing I'm not clear on is the use of your Apple display. You are connecting your cinema display's firewire cable, but all that is doing is providing the connection for the two FW400 port 'hub' on the back of the monitor. Are you using those for anything? Are you using the miniDV deck when you need the use of the soundcard and hard drive? That may be the best way of looking at it, and also streamlining performance. Look at what needs to be connected all at the same time and then prioritize what takes up the most bandwidth, and then look at what connections you have and go from there?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: