macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Christian L
    Re: limiter not working??
    Thanks! We'll take a look at it! I'm really curious about this...
  • dedoni
    HI Christian, To what e-mail address I should post the project file? Thanks DEDO
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Dedo, As Christian said earlier: "If you want, you can post your project using http://www.sendspace.com or http://www.yousendit.com so we can take a closer look." However, if you upload it to one of the above and then post the address here your project can be downloaded by anyone who visits this thread... So, if you want to keep the project private that's not a great idea! However, perhaps you can save your project using the "save as..." and take out a lot of the audio files or sounds - see if the limiter problem still occurs. Then compress the project folder and send it via sendspace and copy and post the address for the uploaded file here. Cheers Rounik
  • Christian L
    Hi Dedoni, Check your private messages. Christian
  • dedoni
    Here are 2 projects. One the limiter works and the other doesn't. Thanks a lot for your help DEDO the link: http://www.yousendit.com/download/TTdGZ296aytlM1N4dnc9P
  • Christian L
    Hi, I checked your project. The problem is that your Output fader is set to +1.4 dB. Set the output fader to 0.0 dB and the audio will not clip anymore. That's what I meant in my first post when I asked if you were raising the output fader. The inserts are Pre-Fader so if you raise the Channel Strip gain the audio will clip... A quick way to put back a fader to 0.0dB is to option-click on it. I personally almost always leave my output to 0dB. I hope it's clear! Take care! Christian
  • Cajypiu
    Hello, I just checked the projects too and in addition to what Christian said, the reason why the other project wasn't clipping was that the level of the music/ drums you were compressing was a lot lower than the other project and combined with the way you had set your limiter and output 1-2 channel fader up, meant that it wasn't clipping. The important thing to note, is that the volume fader on your output/ master channel adjusts the volume AFTER your limiter and other effects. Therefore, if you set your limiter up with a threshold limit of 0db.... the limiter will not let any sound over that limit. If you then add a 2db boost via your fader over and above what is coming out of your limiter, you will introduce clipping. To begin with, always leave your output fader at 0.0db. Balance the output volume of your tracks via the instrument channels and busses. Hope that makes sense.
  • dedoni
    HI Christian, Thanks a lot for your help. I did set the master fader to 0 d and now is working fine. The only thing that I could not figure out was that in both projects the master fader was set to above 0. (actually the project that was working was set to +4 ) YADJ also said that the level of the music/ drums I was compressing was a lot higher in one project. But in both projetcs the channel strip were set to 0 db and both were using a compress with the same setting. The only difference I could spot was that in one my projects the audio loop was in a stereo channel while in the other it was in a mono channel. Is it possible that this was providing me with different outputs? Thanks once again and sorry for taking your time. DEDO
  • Christian L
    Hi Dedoni, I just checked your "O teste limiter funcionando" project. The level of the audio loop is just a bit softer in this project, not enough to make a big difference in dB. The reason why there was a big dB difference is the "Master" fader. Open your Mixer (command-2) and check your "Master" fader. In one project, it is set to -4.6 and in the other it is set to 0dB. Set them both to 0dB and you'll get pretty much the same results. The bottom line is to make sure your output AND master fader are set so the audio won't clip. PS Don't feel sorry for taking up our time. We're here to help! :-) Christian
  • dedoni
    You guys at macprovideo are great. The videos are just the best around and I've already recommended to lots of friends and audio pros here in Brazil. Thanks a lot DEDO
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: