macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Wakudyy
    region or selection's length
    I often need to know how long a certain clip is or a certain selection (of either clips or just empty space) length. In protools it's always shown. Couldn't find the command or any form of workaround. Help. Thanks
  • Christian L
    Re: region or selection's length
    Hi, To know the region length of a region, open the Audio Bin in a separate window (command-9) and select View > Show Length as > Min:Sec:Ms It's also possible to sort regions by length if you need to in the same Audio Bin window. This info is not available in the Media > Bin section of the arrange window. Christian
  • Wakudyy
    thanks :-) very helpful. But what about region length of a series of clips, or maybe even just a marquee selection. For example, if in a theory seconder spot, we have a dog barking that starts on bar three. And on bar five piano melody starts and ends on bar fifteen. On bar eighteen a Latin beat plays til the end. If I need to know the exact length from the time the dog barks and the piano melody line, in pro tools what I'd need to do is select the barking audio clip and the piano midi clip and the region length box is updated based on the two clips I selected. Or if I need to know the time when the piano ends at the Latin loop begins, in protools I would just select the space in between the two clips and the region length indicator would update based on my selection. Is there a way to do this in logic?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi kibs1111, Logic doesn't have this feature like Pro Tools unfortunately. However, there is a workaround... Create a track with an empty region. Resize it to whatever size you wish (e.g. to start from the barking dog to the end of the piano)... Click and hold in the middle of the region and the bottom right display shows you how long the region is in SMPTE (as long as you have Time as a value in the Bar Ruler). You can switch the Bar Ruler to display SMPTE quickly using the key command : "Event Position and Length in SMPTE Units". Hope this helps, Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Also helpful - if you don't want to click and hold on the empty region to see it's length is to keep the Event List open and choose: View > Event Position & Length in SMPTE units. Cheers Rounik
  • Wakudyy
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: