macProVideo.com
Forums
  • wibblequikit
    two-stage compression
    Howdy do all I recently saw a youtube toot on two-stage compression. Does anyone know a quick and easily repeatable set-up to pass signal using an aux channel and two seperate bus compressors (one for sections with a higher dynamic range and the other for lower level signals ie. chorus to verse perceived volume evening)? The differnce was certainly audible on my laptop with the engineers mono mic of his tutorial session, I can only imagine what it sounds like at a desk. Much obliged, Michael
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: two-stage compression
    Hi Michael, Could this be to send to aux 1 and aux 2 from your channel strip. Both Aux's have compressors on - one stronger and one with lighter settings. Is that what you mean? By the way, I've moved this to Steve H's Forum because if anyone can create magical solutions in Logic, Steve can! Cheers Rounik
  • wibblequikit
    Rounik, Thanks for the reply. That colud be a way of accomplishing it. I think the lighter compression is meant to pass through the heavier compression with all the signal aboard. The example I saw uses outboard rack-mounted compressors as opposed to plug-ins so that may have been a limiting factor. Maybe the same effect can be had with plug-ins and a simpler routing method. Appreciate the response, Mike
  • bequick
    Is there a link? So i can see too
  • wibblequikit
    bequick, Just type in two stage compression in youtube search and the 2 part series will come up. Pretty interesting trick. Have fun, Mic.
  • steveH
    I briefly glazed at the video. It's not explained as clearly as it could be! I'll check it out and get back to you when I have a bit of time!
  • Groovizm
    Ok, what happens here is: Drums: channel 1 to 12 are routed to busses 1-2 and busses 3-4 . On busses 1-2 a compressor is inserted (A). It's adjusted to work on the quite parts of the drums. (very Low threshold), the return of comp A is routed to the main mix as well - but at a low level. On busses 3-4 the drums are routed through compressor B with a high threshold setting. Comp B is brought back in the mix at a fairly high level. Now- as long as the drums play softly you will hear a mix of comp A and comp B. As comp A is compressing and comp B is not, you will hear parallel compression between drums and comp A. As the drums get louder the signal of comp B drowns comp A. The drums start hitting the threshold of Comp B and you hear the compressed drum sound of Comp B.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: