macProVideo.com
Forums
  • jeck
    logic in a diferent hard drive
    hello cuold it be a good idea to put logic 8 and all my music programs in an external hard drive and work in diferents computers as i have to do . if you think NO please tell me why thanks Hector
  • bequick
    Re: logic in a diferent hard drive
    i don't think you can install applications on an external hard drive becuase you'll need an operating system on that drive.
  • Christian L
    Bequick is right. It is best to install Logic on your System disk. One reason is that Apple's Software Update will only check in your "Applications" folder when installing updates.
  • jeck
    thank you both ,i get it now,diferent question... i have the vienna instruments and they recommend a separate fast hard drive ,what do they mean ? 10000 rpm or firewife 800 ,or both 7200 and firewire 400? is OK? brand recomended... and in general is it a good idea have your virtual instruments in a separate HD? how about plug ins ,and how about logic projects,the reason i am questioning all this ,is because my HD crashes and i lost every thing i have my new internal HD and i am about to buy 1 external ,so ,i want to know wich, and what to put in each, thank you for your patience hector
  • Christian L
    It is always best to record audio on a second hard drive, not on your system disk. Go with the fastest drive you can buy. Personally, I use a Seagate eSata drive that I really like, but this is not an option for you because you have an iMac. Any drive from a good brand will do (LaCie, Seagate, Maxtor, etc). Audio Unit plugins are installed on your system disk in this location : HD / Library / Audio / Plugins / Components. However many plugins (VSL, Stylus RMX, NI Kontakt, etc) comes with samples library that can be installed on an external drive. I'm sorry about your HD crash... these things happens. That's why it is extremely important to always backup your data. Hope it helps! Christian
  • jeck
    thanks christian
  • luckbrother
    Re: logic in a different hard drive
    Hi, not sure where the best place to ask this is but here goes: I am looking to transport my logic files from the USA to the UK. (physically that is) I was thinking i should get an external drive and physically just take the drive with me. I think seagate makes one with a caddy system which would allow it to connect through firewire on both sides of the ocean. the drive also has USB 2 capabilities I think. Now if I can't get the firewire caddy on both sides of the ocean...which is powered by house current (two different voltages, so will be using an adaptor of some sort) will the USB 2 connection be fast enough for recording audio to the external seagate? hope this makes sense..and would love suggestions on optional external drives that would work on my G5 in the states and an imac (intel) in the UK. just looking for a simple solution is all. thanks. -Tim
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: