macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rasydye
    Hep! CPU problem with running Logic8
    My Macbook Pro (2G ram and with about 10G free hard drive space) has become very unstable running Logic 8 these days, though working normally with other applications. 90% of time using Logic, I was told either the system is overloaded or errors of synco logic and external device(i use an external hard disc for production). i don't think it is because the session i'm running is to heavy, since sometimes it works normally with exactly the same files. but most of time, even when i'm not playing logic, it already takes more than 50% of my CPU power with Logic open, as shown in the activity window. and i can see the red end in the small cpu window of logic's transport bar. does it mean the system is already overloaded even when i'm not playing anything with logic? another related issue is that now i have difficulties recording with logic. every time when i try to record audio(i use 002 as interface), it will take at least 2-3 minutes before the system starts recording. i wonder if it is caused by the same cpu problem. I will deeply appreciate any suggestions or advices toward fixing this problem. many thanks in advance and have a great weekend! cx
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Hep! CPU problem with running Logic8
    Hi cx, please tell us what version of OS X and Logic you are using. This is very important to know. Also, 10GB of free space is not very much. I'd recommend having at least 15% approximately of your main HD free. Finally, is the HD in your macbook pro the standard config? If so it is 5400rpm (in speed terms that is not as fast as 7400rpm). In this case it is better to save your projects to a fast external firewire drive connected to your macbook pro. Cheers Rounik
  • Rasydye
    Hi, Rounik, thank you very much for your kind reply. i'm using Logic 8 on OS X10.4.11 i will try to free up more space on my native HD. i didn't find the configuration info about my external HD on their website, but most probably it's the standard of 5400rpm. it connects with firewire 400/usb2.0. also, would it be helpful if i clean up the content in my external HD, to have more free space as well? many thanks and have a great weekend! cx
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi cx, No problem! Do you have the latest drivers for your 002? I think it will be helpful to have more space on your internal drive if possible, as OS X will perform better. Some audio pro's I've spoken to in the past have recommended about 35% space free on external drives that you're recording to. I've found that about 15% has been fine. Have you tried any maintenance procedures? I'd really recommend "repairing disk permissions" on my mac's HD: 1. Go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility 2. Select First Aid tab and your Mac's internal HD. 3. Click on "Repair Permissions". Try also doing the "verify disk" afterwards. If there is a problem then choose "repair disk" after that. It's recommended to do the "repair permissions" after every big software installation and on a regular basis. I tend to do this every couple of weeks or so. Hope that helps and have a great weekend too. Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: