macProVideo.com
Forums
  • dynamicalan
    Sample Editor Factory Quantize Engine
    Hello, I had a really bad experience today using the Quantize Engine it destroyed an audio file. Does anyone know how to open an undo window for this destruction? Thanks, Alan
  • Cajypiu
    Re: Sample Editor Factory Quantize Engine
    Hi Alan, what version of Logic are you in... and could you walk us through just what it is you tried to do? Quite a lot of the factory processing in the sample editor is destructive which is why it is always recommended to work on copies of audio files unless you are certain it is what you want. Another place to be aware of is the sample editor preferences under Logic's main prefereces. There is a tick box there which will empty your undo history when you quit the project. This is good if you want to keep your project folder's overall size down, but is a bummer if you wanted to recall an undo step on reopening. You can also list how many undo steps you have available here too.
  • Christian L
    Always make a backup of your file before using the audio quantize function. A very easy way to do a backup is to choose Audio File > Create Backup in the Sample Editor local menu. If you want to revert to the original file, choose Audio File > Revert to Backup.
  • dynamicalan
    Hi, I use Logic Pro 8 and what I did was I opened the Sample Editor and then Factory and then I opened the quantize Engine and then I quantized the Region but then I changed my mind but I couldn't undo the thing because I didn't select the region in the sample editor so out of frustration I did another one but I couldn't get it back to the way it was originally but it also destroyed the same file in the other versions of the same song but the same file in a different beginning of the file name I was able to get. Thanks, Alan
  • dynamicalan
    Hello, this isn't for the Sample Editor it's just for Logic. Alan
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:34022]Hello, this isn't for the Sample Editor it's just for Logic. Alan[/quote] Hi Alan, What do you mean "this isn't for the Sample Editor" ? In your previous posts you explain that you used the functions within the sample editor (which is a destructive audio editor) to alter the original audio file. Yadj & Christian are completely correct. It's always best to save a copy of your original audio file if you want to use the time and pitch machine or any of the factory menu items in the Sample Editor. Unfortunately, a lot of Logic users find out the hard way that the Sample Editor really IS destructive... I know I did ;-) Cheers Rounik
  • Christian L
    Rounik is right, all the edit done in the Sample Editor are destructive. There is an independent "undo" function for the Sample Editor. You can change the number of "undo" steps in Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio > Sample Editor. This "undo" function works for all the edit you make in the Sample Editor [b]except[/b] for the Quantize edit. I don't know why. To my knowledge, there is no mention of this in the manual. Anyhow, it is always best to use the backup function before doing any edit in the Sample Editor.
  • dynamicalan
    Hello, that's good to know that the Sampler Editor has it's own undo history. I expected to get a warning message about this before doing the operation. What I would like to know, is if you are backed up on an external drive and you open it in Logic, will Logic automatically update the file that's saved on that drive? Also, if you merge regions and keep the merged file and delete the other regions will that cause the merged file to be gone? Thanks, Alan
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Alan, If you open the project on your mac drive and save all changes to your project [b]ONLY[/b] the project on your mac drive will be updated. The backup on the external drive or any other drive will remain unchanged. If you merge regions, keep the Audio Bin open so you can see the changes happening. Basically, Logic will create a new merged audio file which will be added to the audio bin with a new name. So when you delete the original regions they are still in the audio bin. If you delete the original audio files from the audio bin then the merged file will still be there in the audio bin and the Arrange area. Cheers Rounik
  • dynamicalan
    Hello, when you export a audio file and add to audio bin is checked should it be a file that has the follow tempo check box in the inspector because the manual says it does but it doesn't seem to work. Also when you bounce a surround file and then add it to Waveburrner before doing the same using stp or directly into Waveburrner will it stay a surround file. Thanks, Alan
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: