macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Staggboy
    Gaining a Compressor
    Hi Steve. Erm... sorry to be awkward, but I just don't get what you're achieving in the "Gaining a Compressor" tip. If I don't understand you correctly, I do apologise, but here's my take on it: By raising the gain in the Compressor plugin, you're pushing the output of the compressor stage against the limiter stage, and the gain reduction you're getting is not due to compression, but limiting. Similarly, by adding the Gain plugin before the Compressor, you're raising the program level before it hits the Compressor, something that you could equally achieve by mixing everything louder, which you argue against. Surely this is the whole point of the gain make-up control in the Compressor plugin: to match the input to the output, allowing you to A/B and judge the effect the Compressor is actually having? What you're really doing here is limiting your mix by simply pushing the level (using the Gain plugin) against the ceiling of the limiter stage in the Compressor plugin - something that the Adaptive Limiter is surely more specifically designed for? i.e. no standard compression is actually taking place.
  • steveH
    Re: Gaining a Compressor
    No need to feel awkward... The more discussion the better!! That gain TNT is a cameo by Martin Sitter... I'll take a close look at it and I'll comment on your obsevations when I have some time early in the week. Thanks, Steve H
  • Martin
    Re: Gaining a Compressor
    It's just a tip ... use or not as you please! If you ever find yourself in a situation where A-B'ing a compressor causes significant fluctuations in volume, which in turn makes it hard to A-B the compressor to hear the effects of your compression, remember this tip! :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: